Webroot Weekly Highlights - 7/20/2018

• 20 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Webroot announces integration with BrightGauge

This partnership will integrate Webroot’s real-time cybersecurity data into dashboards and reports through the BrightGauge’s business intelligence platform for MSPs for business insights.

With dashboards leveraging Webroot data, BrightGauge customers will experience a real-time view of active threats to monitor and manage security operations.
Security reports through BrightGauge help MSPs share Webroot’s in-depth data with customers to make business decisions.

See the full article here.

Join the WiFi Security Beta!

Webroot is introducing a new product to our award-winning lineup of security products: Webroot WiFi Security. As a virtual private network (VPN) app, Webroot WiFi Security will help protect users on any device or network, especially unsecured public WiFi.

Like all our products, this latest addition to the Webroot family will include advanced Webroot BrightCloud® Threat Intelligence to provide the most robust VPN service on the market and the most comprehensive, up-to-the-minute protection for our customers.

How to block ads like a pro

In part one of this series, we had a look at a few reasons why you should be blocking online advertisements on your network and devices. From malvertising attacks and privacy-invading tracking systems to just being an outright annoyance, online ads and trackers are a nuisance that provides an attack vector for malware authors, compromise user security, and plainly, diminish the browsing experience.

In the second part of this series, we’ll cover a few of the common ad blocking utilities and how to best configure those tools for maximum effectiveness. We’ll take a look at tools that are easy enough to set up and run on mom’s computer, as well as a few tools that may require a bit more expertise. And later on, we’ll discuss a few tools that do a great job of blocking ads and protecting your privacy, but may require a shift in mindset before realizing the benefit. 
So, go grab your cup of Joe, sit back, and dive into the conclusion of “Everybody and their mother is blocking ads, so why aren’t you?”

See the ful article here.

How hackers exploit critical infrastructure

The traditional focus of most hackers has been on software, but the historical focus of crime is on anything of value. It should come as no surprise, therefore, that as operational technology (OT) and industrial control system (ICS) infrastructure have become much more prominent components of national critical infrastructure, that malicious hacking activity would be increasingly targeted in this direction.

It also stands to reason that the salient aspects of hacking – namely, remote access, automated tools, and weak attribution – would extend naturally to malicious targeting of critical OT/ICS infrastructure. These attributes are particularly attractive in this context, because criminals interested in disrupting factories, production systems, and other tangible infrastructure, previously had to establish physical presence or compromise some group with local access.

See what people have been saying about us

• "I love Webroot! I have been using it for years and wouldn't use anything else. I have never, in all the years of using it, had any security issues. I think sometimes I take it for granted. It is really peace of mind. Webroot does all the work while you enjoy the web."
  • "I have used webroot for years, great protection and great service."
  • "Overall the best PC security product I have used. Very easy to use, navigate, set preferences, etc. Highly recommend!"

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for the updates as always  

On ad blocking: there is a potential Webroot product. The problem with most ad blockers is that sites are now smart to them, and will block content or request removing the blocker. They have become LESS AND LESS effective because of that.

What is needed is an ad blocker app/plugin that redirects the ad to a 99.9% off screen window such that the user does not see it, the blocker keeps the ad quarantined but still "displayed" albeit off screen, and the site thinks the ad displayed just fine. 

Blocking is no longer the solution. I run two blockers now, and a lot if content is no longer available to me unless I want to be inundated  with ads for those sites. 

I would buy that Webroot product in a heartbeat!
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Thanks for the updates as always  

On ad blocking: there is a potential Webroot product. The problem with most ad blockers is that sites are now smart to them, and will block content or request removing the blocker. They have become LESS AND LESS effective because of that.

What is needed is an ad blocker app/plugin that redirects the ad to a 99.9% off screen window such that the user does not see it, the blocker keeps the ad quarantined but still "displayed" albeit off screen, and the site thinks the ad displayed just fine. 

Blocking is no longer the solution. I run two blockers now, and a lot if content is no longer available to me unless I want to be inundated  with ads for those sites. 

I would buy that Webroot product in a heartbeat!
Interesting, I currently use uBlock on my home computer, and you're right about some items still coming through. Also doesn't help that some of the adblockers out there are being bought by ad agencies/companies to let their content get through.
Userlevel 5
Also I noticed with Google Chrome and AdBlock plus configured as suggested that the 'Kudos' function on your forums site is broken. easy fix to disable adblocker on your forums and voila perfect but I thought it odd as you seem to have no ads on your site. Maybe you need to verify CSS/privacy policy somewhere in the software/web code you use to enable the Kudos feature.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Also I noticed with Google Chrome and AdBlock plus configured as suggested that the 'Kudos' function on your forums site is broken. easy fix to disable adblocker on your forums and voila perfect but I thought it odd as you seem to have no ads on your site. Maybe you need to verify CSS/privacy policy somewhere in the software/web code you use to enable the Kudos feature.

Dave
Interesting, we'll look into this as that would certainly be an issue for a great deal of users.