Webroot Weekly Highlights - 7/27/2018

• 27 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

David Dufour Talks Phone Scams with 9News

David Dufour, Vice President of Engineering at Webroot (and Webroot Community member mind you), talks with 9News Denver about the recent rise in phone scams and how you can protect yourself from these kind of attacks.  

Join the WiFi Security Beta!

Webroot is introducing a new product to our award-winning lineup of security products: Webroot WiFi Security. As a virtual private network (VPN) app, Webroot WiFi Security will help protect users on any device or network, especially unsecured public WiFi.

Like all our products, this latest addition to the Webroot family will include advanced Webroot BrightCloud® Threat Intelligence to provide the most robust VPN service on the market and the most comprehensive, up-to-the-minute protection for our customers.

See the full article here.

Three Malware Campaigns Come Alive for the Holiday Shopping Season

The Kronos banking Trojan was first discovered in 2014 [1] and was a steady fixture in the threat landscape for a few years before largely disappearing. Now a new variant has appeared, with at least three distinct campaigns targeting Germany, Japan, and Poland respectively, to date.

In April 2018, the first samples of a new variant of the banking Trojan appeared in the wild [2]. The most notable new feature is that the command and control (C&C) mechanism has been refactored to use the Tor anonymizing network. There is some speculation and circumstantial evidence suggesting that this new version of Kronos has been rebranded “Osiris” and is being sold on underground markets. In this blog, we present information on the German, Japanese, and Polish campaigns as well as a fourth campaign that looks to be a work in progress and still being tested 

See the ful article here.

Product Update: Mac version 9.0.8.34 

• MAC vulnerability by hardening driver access to processes without root privleges.

See what people have been saying about us

• "I love how this product does its thing without disrupting what I am doing, quickly, efficiently and only if it finds something am I contacted. Yet, if I choose, I can do an extra scan at any time. It's so fast. Thank you."
  • "I checked the standing with Consumer Reports and Webroot remains the top 5 in security for the internet. Concerned with the hackers and security of my personal information, I feel safe and secure against all obstacles that may occur. I just renewed my security for 3 yrs."
  • "Great system. It's effective and doesn't slow my computer down."

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Just spent an hour with another tech trying to get my Webroot extension back. What a pain in the buttocks! Did have success! Also, suddenly the email notification at the upper right of Att.net no longer works. This too, the agent tried to fix but with no success. Though I can live with no email notifications. Have a good day, ye all.