cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Silver VIP

Webroot added to VirusTotal

We welcome the Webroot scanner to VirusTotal. This is a machine learning engine from the US. In the words of the company:

 

"Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection is a cloud-driven anti-malware solution and was the first next generation solution to offer a full replacement to conventional AV when launched in 2011.

Rather than rely on static signatures to identify malicious files and process, Webroot uses real-time monitoring and analysis of the events occurring within a device. Then, by using the extensive resources of cloud-based computing, threat and behavioral intelligence, Webroot is able to predict with negligible false positives any signs of malicious behavior. Windows PE files submitted to VirusTotal will be processed by the Webroot PE Scanner, non-PE files will not be scanned.”


Webroot has expressed its commitment to follow the recommendations of AMTSO and, in compliance with our policy, facilitates this review by MRG Effitas, an AMTSO-member tester.

 

http://blog.virustotal.com/2017/02/virustotal-webroot.html

32 REPLIES
Community Leader

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal

Excellent news! Smiley Happy

 Community Leader



Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal

I was told it would never happen? So I wonder why it is now? Smiley Frustrated @DanP @JP can you get us a comment?

Threat Researcher

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal


@TripleHelix wrote:

I was told it would never happen? So I wonder why it is now? Smiley Frustrated @DanP @JP can you get us a comment?


"Webroot has expressed its commitment to follow the recommendations of AMTSO and, in compliance with our policy, facilitates this review by MRG Effitas, an AMTSO-member tester."

 

-Dan

Webroot Threat Research

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal

Come on Dan you know what I'm talking about! https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Adding-a-Webroot-SDK-to-VirusTotal/idi-p/7462

 

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Adding-a-Webroot-SDK-to-VirusTotal/idc-p/270172#M408...

 

by Gold VIP
on ‎10-06-2016 05:52 PM
Microsoft
Expert
Webroot
Expert

I have changed my mind on this!

 

Webroot is smart not to be on VT so that Malware Writers can't check to see if it's detected by WSA so it's best to keep them in the dark!

 

Daniel Smiley Happy

Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal

So happy this finally happened! I've been asking around about this for the past year Smiley Happy

Happy to hear we're getting our name out there.

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal


@JP wrote:

So happy this finally happened! I've been asking around about this for the past year Smiley Happy

Happy to hear we're getting our name out there.


Well I asked 5 years ago.....and was told the above.

Gold VIP

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal


@TripleHelix wrote:

@JP wrote:

So happy this finally happened! I've been asking around about this for the past year Smiley Happy

Happy to hear we're getting our name out there.


Well I asked 5 years ago.....


Indeed, you did, Daniel, as I well recall...and a number of time since then. Nice to see that it has final happened. Smiley Wink

       Untitled-1.png


Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.21.18, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.1

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal


@Baldrick wrote:

@TripleHelix wrote:

@JP wrote:

So happy this finally happened! I've been asking around about this for the past year Smiley Happy

Happy to hear we're getting our name out there.


Well I asked 5 years ago.....


Indeed, you did, Daniel, as I well recall...and a number of time since then. Nice to see that it has final happened. Smiley Wink


I don't know if it is? I was told by a few that it was not a good Idea to give Malware Writers the upper hand in checking for detections on VT. Smiley Surprised

Gold VIP

Re: Webroot added to VirusTotal

Well, perhaps it might, or might have in the past,...but I think it is fair to assume that that the clever people at Webroot will have weighed all of that up when making the decision. Smiley Wink

 

Hopefully we might get  afuller insight in the fullness of time.

       Untitled-1.png


Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.21.18, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.1