Why You Should Protect Your Mac from Viruses

• 5 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

“I use a Mac, so I don’t need to worry about malware, phishing, or viruses.” Many Mac users turn a blind eye to cybersecurity threats, often noting that most scams and attacks occur on PCs.

However, within the last few years, there has been a noted uptick in spyware (a type of software that gathers information about a person or organization without their knowledge), adware (software that automatically displays or downloads advertising material), and potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) on Macs and iOS devices.

While Macs are known to have strong security features, they are by no means bullet proof. In a recent interview with CSO Magazine, Webroot Vice President of Engineering David Dufour noted, “Many of these incidents are occurring through exploits in third-party solutions from Adobe, Oracle’s Java and others, providing a mechanism for delivering malicious software and malware.” Even the most internet-savvy users should be sure to install antivirus software on their Mac products.

Recommended security tips for safe browsing on a Mac on our blog

1 reply

Userlevel 5
All simply my opinions.

After using Macs again after about 15 years away and abandoning Windows 7 completely, I really like them now. I am not anti-windows, I just spend too much time fixing their stuff.

Apple has accepted and changed some security features based on input from me and others. However, they still have special weaknesses as well. In particular, in three specific areas. They also IMO have far far better controls for hardening and recovering. The best tool of all, are your own thinking processes and knowing what a hack looks like. Most people tell me that they are not hacked and I smile in return. Those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion still!

While I have pulled 20 some odd hacks off Win 7 since around 2014 when they went exponential after many happy years, I have pulled about 5 odd hacks off Macs so far. I have a policy of not saying much except to professionals and some friends and family when I detect something serious to reduce harm done and help track the bad guys. I am a high value target and I know the main sources of my hacks.

Ghostry is useful. Remember most hacks are organized crime trying to build profiles and looking for money. They will read your social media pages and phish you using "legitimate email addresses" at times as they wander up and down your tree looking for better targets. I don't worry about NSA etc. since I am not into crime. They are on our side!

One huge organization recently tested phishing on their internal network and had someting like a 78% corporate failure rate. Even the top security professional clicked on it and said to me later - I knew I shouldn't have. It looked suspicious. I smiled. Just harden your computer, limit the potential damage and recover quickly and like the proverbial locks on doors, criminals will move on to easier targets.

In Feb this year, I ran into the most serious hack on Window 7 that may have caused the two month delay in Feb and March updates. I have abandoned Windows and office totally since then. However I am not a religious zealot, just someone wanting to spend more time doing my stuff, rather than fixing their stuff all the time.

Hope that helps.