light bulb

Did You Know?

Virtural Environment Deployment

by Moderator Moderator on ‎04-21-2015 09:08 AM

As a: Admin managing a Virtural Desktop Infastructure enviromnet.

I wish: I could deploy Webroot to the master image.

So that: I can more easily manage my endpoints. I don't have to clear out duplicate machines from my console every day/week. I have threat history for my virutial machines.

Background
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environments provision a machine from a master image every time it is booted. Any changes that are made to the machine are lost during this session. This produces hole in the management of Webroot. The only way to get Webroot protecting these machines is to have them install Webroot on boot of the machine be it though group policy or some other management utility.

Issue
First, every time the machine boots we are doing a learning scan of the machine. Second, we get multiple instances of the machine in the console every time the machine is booted; which causes the admin to go through the console and deactivate machines that have not been seen recently.

Workaround
Install Webroot on boot of the VM. Current deployment switches (-uniquedeivce or -clone) do not fix this. Admins can use the /group= deployment to force these machines into a group so that clearing out the extra instance is easier. More info on deployment can be found in the Deployment Document.

Actual Result
Currently installing Webroot on a VDI environment can only be done on boot of the machine. This causes a new instance of a machine in console every time a VDI machine boots.

Expected Result
Webroot should be deployable to the master image. And when booting a machine from that image Webroot should grab unique information about that machine instance in VDI to link it to a single instance in the console.

Proposed Fix
I believe the best way to tackle this is to create an install switch for VDI deployment. You would install to the master image with this switch. Then on every boot of the VM Webroot generates its Device MID and Instance MID information off of the combination of the Microsoft SID and hostname. I believe the SID is the same since the VDI loads the master image, then if we generate those MIDs based off the hostnames being booted from that image, every time it boots the MIDs will be the same. And the agent will report to the same instance in the console every time that VM boots from that master image.

This is an excellent idea @JohnnyS!

You have my vote sir.

Comments
by wleaobras
on ‎11-14-2015 04:43 AM

Hi,

Any news? I search for av solution for 4000 VDI (xendesktop7.6). I found Mcafee and trendMicro.

Does Webroot have a full support and not duplicate machine accounts on console?

thanks,

by federov
on ‎02-25-2016 07:00 AM

Hi!

Any news ? We still don´t run webroot on our citrix servers on some customers that are running the image infrastructure bacause of this issue. Would be great to be able to!

thanks

by Retired Webrooter
on ‎02-25-2016 08:01 AM
Webroot
Expert

I haven't heard anything new on this, but I'll double-check.

by Troden
on ‎03-19-2017 04:36 PM

*Bump*

How is this issue progressing as we currently have the same issue with WebRoot and Virtural Environment Deployment. We are constantly having to delete the replicated machines over and over in the WR Admin console.