Adding MicrosoftEdge to protected applications

• 14 February 2017
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello all, I am brand new to Webroot.  Having concern about Webroot protection or lack of for WindowsEdge, I added the 2 MicrosoftEdge files to the Application Protection list as per Baldrick's post of 3/22/16.  When I do that I am unable to execute Edge. I then changed their settings from "Protect" to "Allow" and I am able to execute Edge.  Is this advice from Baldrick still valid, and, if so why can't I execute Edge using the "Protect" setting?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
@ probably has much more insight into this than I do.
Userlevel 7
Hi PaulTru

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks to JP for the tag...OK, so lets see now.

I have checked the entries in my instances of the Identity Protection Shield and the following entries are there set as 'Protect' (C:WindowsSystemAppsMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe with the following .exes; Microsoftedge & Microsoftedgecp).

I have tried changing them to 'Allow' and back to 'Protect' but in both cases Edge appears to work correctly.

However, whilst checking the entries under Application Protection I have noticed a couple of other entries related to Edge which are:

amd64_microsoft-windows-microsoftedge_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_3eac29ef06d21e8aMicrosoftedge
amd64_microsoft-windows-Microsoftedge_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.693_none_4ad7b2f48e34387e Microsoftedgecp

under the file path: 

C:WindowsWinSxS

Now, I am running the 64bit version of Windows 10 and that may account for the additional entries...but you could look to see if you can find them and try adding them if you do.

Note that the numeric portion of the additional paths may be different to the ones I have listed...but the non numeric elements should be standard if there.

Not sure if this is of any assistance but please post back to let us know what you find as there may be a need to amend the guidance previously provided.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you Baldrick for responding. 
This is what transpired:
I found 2 files in the c windows WINSxS path that matched your 2, except that my files did not have Microsoftedge at the end of each file. When I try the Add application function of Webroot  
another box opens up with displaying many files.  Apparently my 2 files were folders. 2 of the files in the folder were:Microsoftedge + MicrosoftedgeCP.  WhenI tried to Add Application I get "Select the file for which you want to override the default behavior of in Secure Anywhere.'   
In subsequent attempts I get no message, nothing happens. 

So I am back where I started with the 2 files labeled as 'Allow' in Application Protection screen.

Thanks for listening, Paul.

Userlevel 7
No worries.

Based on waht you have said I will experiment with my system and ee what I can find out. Unfortuantely I am UK based and it is late so I hope to be able to post back tomorrow around this time or earlier.

I hope that is OK?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge
No problem Baldrick. This is not an emergency.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
You must add both files (Microsoftedge + MicrosoftedgeCP) to protected apps in Webroot!
Userlevel 7
Indeed, Lyle, that is already in the advice provided. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Perhaps we could tutor him in HOW to add the two files?
Userlevel 7
Hi PaulTru

OK, well...I removed all entries, related to Edge, & checked...no issue with launching the browser. I then tried adding (i) the orginal entries posted & (ii) then the further entries I had spotted and advised on yesterday.

And I ran into issues trying to, iin the case of (i) adding the MicrosoftEdgeCP entry, whilst selected properly I could not get to see a recorded entry in the applicaiton list, & in the case of (ii) neither of the entries, thought successfully selected, did not appear in the application list...which is baffling.

Therefore, what I suggest that you do is to Open a Support Ticket nad get the SUpport Team to take a look.advise...you can include a link to this thread so that they have access to our discussions.

Hopefully, they can work out what is happeningand advise accordingly.

Regards, Baldrick.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Perhaps we could tutor him in HOW to add the two files?
It is described in the original post that he is referring to. ;)
Userlevel 7
Don't spend any more time on this. Let our outstanding Support Team investigate further :manhappy:

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227 M-F 7am?6pm MT
Send us a Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks again Baldrick,

I submitted a request to Webroot support yesterday.
Userlevel 7
Hi PaulTru

You are most welcome.

Regards, Baldrick