Another newbie with questions

• 6 June 2014
  • 1 reply

Hi folks.....I’ve been using McAfee Total Protection for ten years and for many reasons I want to make a change so I just downloaded a trial version of WSA Security Complete and have a few questions.

1.  Does WSA have a ‘lockdown’ feature similar to McAfee’s? 80% of our PC use is off-line. No need for an internet connection. With McAfee I click ‘firewall’, the page has options and I click ‘lockdown’, I use ‘stealth mode’ for browsing. I’ve looked around in WSA and do not see any options to do this.

2.  Our PC’s and laptops are older running XP with 1 GB of memory so I use the “Quick Clean” feature in McAfee all the time. Does WSA have anything similar?

3.  Using McAfee a full scan takes over an hour for about 150K files. The first WSA scan upon installation took 13 minutes. I ran a second that took 3 minutes or so for about 27K files. Wow.  Why is there such a difference in the number of files scanned?

I’m looking forward to using WSA and hopefully it will be the new Sheriff in town. Appreciate your assistance!

Regards, Doug

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello Doug. Welcome to the Community.:)

1. By lockdown I assume you mean an environment where no executable can run except for the ones whitelisted. WSA does not have anything like that at least none that I'm aware of. But WSA offers something very close and offers more granular control. You can set WSA to warn you when any new program executes that is not specifically whitelisted. To do this, open WSA > Advanced Settings > Heuristics and choose the last option.

2. Yes WSA Complete has cleaning utilities.

3. This will help you https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Scanning-PC-suspiciously-fast/td-p/6632

I hope that helps.:)