Solved

Guru Aid

Userlevel 2
Badge
When I googled webroot I got Guru Aid. They said my phone had to be cleaned out for a price. As a long time webroot customer I knew this wasn't right.
I Realized I wasn't talking to Webroot. 
I hung up & got Webroot & they fixed my problem. The tech was fantastic & fixed my problem. It was a complex problem but the tech was very courteous & patient. That's why I have Webroot. Kudos to my tech & watch out for Guru Aid. 
James Schwartz
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 17 June 2018, 01:32

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
When I googled webroot I got Guru Aid. They said my phone had to be cleaned out for a price. As a long time webroot customer I knew this wasn't right.
I hung up & got Webroot & they fixed my problem. The tech was fantastic & fixed my problem. It was a complex problem but the tech was very courteous & patient. That's why I have Webroot. Kudos to my tech & watch out for Guru Aid. 
James Schwartz
Welcome to the Webroot Community @ and thank you for the warning about Guru Aid. I wonder they can be blacklisted @ @
Hi James,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

That was very wise of you to notice that you weren't speaking with Webroot. Unfortunately, others are not so fortunate.

The problem lies with ads that companies like Guru Aid place in the Google search results. These results often appear at or near the top to give the impression of being relevant.

I would suggest you install an ad blocking extension in your browser. I use Ublock Origin in both Firefox and Chrome. Using an ad blocker will most-often remove these sometimes deceitful ads from appearing in Google results. See my examples below.

uBlock Origin for Firefox : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss

uBlock Origin for Google Chrome : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

There are other ad blockers as well. They will block many other annoying ads, too, not just in the search results. Hopefully you'll find it to be an invaluable tool, as I do. ;)

Hope this info helps,

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Great suggestions @ you are more on the ball than me tonight.
Thank you, Jasper, and sorry about that. You posted your reply while I was typing mine. I wasn't trying to show you up. ;)

Plus, it's a lot later there for you than it is for me here, as I'm just getting ready for dinner and you're getting ready for bed, so it's perfectly understandable :D

But I totally agree with you. Hopefully Webroot can try blacklisting these sites. But I suspect it's a never-ending battle as they seem to come and go daily.:@

I know you, like me, wouldn't be without an ad blocker. I remember discovering one for the first time and was very surprised at the great job they do blocking ads. I'm sure if James takes the suggestion he will not be disappointed, either.

Have a good night, Jasper. See you tomorrow. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Also note what Webroot says about Guruaid! Very odd so I hope that @ or @ can get it sorted on there end! https://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php

Home and Garden???? :S

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Thank you, Jasper, and sorry about that. You posted your reply while I was typing mine. I wasn't trying to show you up. ;)

Plus, it's a lot later there for you than it is for me here, as I'm just getting ready for dinner and you're getting ready for bed, so it's perfectly understandable :D

But I totally agree with you. Hopefully Webroot can try blacklisting these sites. But I suspect it's a never-ending battle as they seem to come and go daily.:@

I know you, like me, wouldn't be without an ad blocker. I remember discovering one for the first time and was very surprised at the great job they do blocking ads. I'm sure if James takes the suggestion he will not be disappointed, either.

Have a good night, Jasper. See you tomorrow. :)
NO problem @, I know you were not trying to show me up. It was too late for me really when I posted.
But your right I would not be without an AdBlocker especially these days, they do stop a lot of rubbish popping up plus if you wanted to see something which was blocked it is easy to overide it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Burn Daddy,
It was my fault not looking at link, but it was on the top & I was  in a hurry.
I asked webroot tech & he said there is  not much they can do. 
But thanks for app I will use it 
Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
James Schwartz
Guru Aid is certainly a tech support scammer, although they are in a sort of grey area when it comes to us being able to take action against them, similar to PUA's (Potentially Unwanted Application). You can read more about these scammers here. I do agree that we should re-categorize it, and as such, I will refer to our support team and respond back when I have more information from them.

As the others have mentioned, good catch! Spotting one of these imposter companies can be difficult as it's their job to trick people into handing out hundreds of dollars for literally no service what-so-ever. Our actual support can be reached at the number or link below.

1-866-612-4227
or
https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp 
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Following up on this, support has told me that this site used to be blocked, and they are working to get this corrected here very soon (hopefully within the hour).
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you Lara.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Kudos Lara, Guru Aid is gone from google chrome webroot
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Kudos Lara, Guru Aid is gone from google chrome webroot
Perfect! Thanks for letting us know about it.