clueless newbie with question re:Java

Hello, and just got webroot..Not sure how it works, but it got some great reviews, price was right, etc.  I
do a lot of "sweepstaking" and believe me won many many things. Problem is, get sooo much spam, junk, etc. Which
I am willing to put up with, worth the benefits for me.  But, since I had webroot, have noticed so much of my junk, spam is
going to my inbox.  And also, (dumb question) what is the little lock for?  Am I suppose to run it on my own or what.  Thanks
for your patience.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello queenv11  and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

You can provide additional security for software applications that may contain confidential information, such as Instant Messaging clients or tax preparation software. By protecting these applications, you secure them against information-stealing Trojans like keyloggers, man-in-the-middle attacks, and clipboard stealers. You can add any applications to the Protected Applications list and assign them to one of the protection levels:
  • Protect. “Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. You might want to add financial management software to the category. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock: [img]https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/10492iB80A1FD2BC1FEE4F.jpg[/img]   [list]
  • Allow. “Allowed applications” are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as “Deny,” you can change it to “Allow.”
  • Deny. “Denied applications” cannot view or capture protected data on the system, but can otherwise run normally.
Thank you
Petr.

Userlevel 7
Hi queenv11,

Welcome to the Community!  
@ wrote:
Not sure how it works, but it got some great reviews, price was right, etc.  
If you wolud like to know something more about WSA and how does it works please look at these examples:

Cloud Anti-Malware vs Traditional

Why Traditional Antivirus is failing - Webroot Webinar

Webroot Intelligence Network - Cloud Security Services

BrightCloud Security Services - Overview

What Happens if Webroot "Misses" a Virus?

For further information you can simply explore the Community and of course feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mike