why doesn't Webroot show up in control panel? and addons?

• 28 January 2016
  • 12 replies

Hi I am Lynne I am not a computer wiz just use it for pleasure.  I had Webroot installed but my computer started acting weird and kicking me out of stuff so I rebooted it and like before I had to reinstall Webroot. This time webroot downloaded and shows up on my desktop but it isn't in my add ons nor is it on the control panel and it was before and was enabled. I am wondering if
this can be remidied.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Lynne

Welcome to the Community Forums.

So you have WSA installed on your computer, you have a Desktop icon, etc. Do you have a notification tray icon & if you click on either that or the desktop icon does that open up the main panel for WSA?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
icon presnt in task bar but not present in control panel program list and only shows up program list as an executable file icon, in the c drive. All was working fine along side kasperki anti-virus, then things went wonky, lots of adware allowed in, and regular programs were slow and often times browsers, firefox and chrome wouldnt load.
took it to  tech, who couldnt find webroot and cleaned up advising lots lots of adware allowed in
i shut down webroot manually and it sits "greyed out". Working better now, any ideas

Thanks,

Jorge
Hi jorge54,

Welcome to the Weboroot Community.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. On rare occasions it does happen that the uninstall option is missing in the Control Panel. To rectify the situation please see HERE.

Then once uninstlled, I recommend a clean install.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • If you haven't already, be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

If you're still having trouble please, either let us know or you may also submit a trouble ticket to Webroot support, a free service with your subscription. ;)

In terms of the adware you're reporting, what you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

Hope this info helps. Please let us know if you have questions or need further assistance.

Thanks,
BD

Userlevel 5
Thanks BD. Will try ;this and thanks for taking the time to share this.
i have been a webroot user for 3years and havent been on the forum for a bit due to an injury.
Am from Canada, Nice to meet you all , cheers,

Jorge
Userlevel 7
Hi Jorge

And if I may just add to what BD has posted...if you ever come across the "icon presnt in task bar but not present in control panel program list and only shows up program list as an executable file icon" issue that you mentioned in the first line of your post then please follow the guidance/instructions provided in this KB Article, which covers the subject very well.

Hope that helps also?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
support has been good and offered 3 options fo show program for uninstall, with no luck yet, waiting for next option,
will let you know what comes next and what is successful, thanks for the support gang.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jorge

Try running the options again but this time boot into Safe Mode WITH NETWORKING, and see if that works for you.

Regards, Baldrick
@ wrote:
Thanks BD. Will try ;this and thanks for taking the time to share this.
i have been a webroot user for 3years and havent been on the forum for a bit due to an injury.
Am from Canada, Nice to meet you all , cheers,

Jorge
You're welcome, Jorge. I would try what Baldrick has suggested. If you're still having trouble then I would submit a trouble ticket and let support work on this for you. ;)

Cheers,
BD
Userlevel 5
support came online and took over my computere remotely,  fixing the issue,
Apppreciate all the hellp from members of this forum who helped and advised Support person, of the knowledge base and .the  assistance that Community members readily offer to assist us who need it..

He advised that the company support people are very much appreciative of the people in this forum who assist their fellow members. Kudos, to you for your kindness in helping folks.

This goes a long way in promoting this program, when they offer assistance  X 4, followed up by a remote assistance to fix the problem.

Gheers,

Jorge54

Userlevel 5
Thanks Baldrick.
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome, Jorge.

So glad to see that the issue is sorted for you. The Support team are great/the best in the business (and that is officially recognised).

Hopefully you will have no further problems but if you do then you know where to come. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Thanks Baldrick. Appreciate it.