Employees Sleeping At Work

• 21 May 2017
  • 9 replies

Last couple of companies I've worked for has been alright for me to have a 'power nap' on my lunch or if I'm doing a long shift.

I'm just wondering if other companies allow it & what are you thoughts on this??

9 replies

@ wrote:
Last couple of companies I've worked for has been alright for me to have a 'power nap' on my lunch or if I'm doing a long shift.

I'm just wondering if other companies allow it & what are you thoughts on this??
I saw an item on the news regarding companies that provided "nap rooms' for their employees to take a short nap. Mostly executives and CEO types, though. NPR just had a story this week about a school district, I don't remember where, that had purchased a dozen 'sleeping pods" for the high school. The staff, students and administration all lauded the positive effects. I think more workplaces should allow it. They just might see an uptick in morale and productivity.

I'd be lying if I said I had never dozed-off at my desk. ;)

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
It sounds great to me but I may have a problem fitting a sleeping pod on my tractor  😃

@ wrote:
It sounds great to me but I may have a problem fitting a sleeping pod on my tractor  :D
What you need is a tractor bed!

:p:p:p:p:p:p
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It sounds great to me but I may have a problem fitting a sleeping pod on my tractor  :D
What you need is a tractor bed!

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Userlevel 7
This all depends on what kind of job you have. As for me, I always slept at work. In the Military aboard ship, always took that nap from 11am to 1pm, yep 2 hour lunch break. Then driving a 18 wheeler the bunk was just behind me. Take a power nap any time, wake up and drive another 3 or 4 hundred miles. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
You can take it to extremes though! :(
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/croydon-tram-driver-filmed-allegedly-asleep-wheel-same-line-fatal-crash
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/croydon-tram-driver-filmed-allegedly-asleep-wheel-same-line-fatal-crash
Yes that is a fact. During my first few years of driving I had one episode of Microsleep . Your eyes are open, your head is up but no one is home. You are actually driving sleeping with your eyes open. This happened during the day time. On the Interstate I went from the right lane to the middle lane, don't remember switching lanes! It scared the hell out of me and I never pushed myself again driving over my limit. Beware when your on the road, many truckers are pushing their limit. More miles means more $$$$ for them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Yes that is a fact. During my first few years of driving I had one episode of Microsleep . Your eyes are open, your head is up but no one is home. You are actually driving sleeping with your eyes open. This happened during the day time. On the Interstate I went from the right lane to the middle lane, don't remember switching lanes! It scared the hell out of me and I never pushed myself again driving over my limit. Beware when your on the road, many truckers are pushing their limit. More miles means more $$$$ for them.
Yikes! That happens to me all the time...Microsleeping...just kidding. But my Brother was a Truck Driver and he pushed his hours of not sleeping all the time. He was an expert in doctoring up his Logs. So I did use to worry about my little brother not getting enough sleep! Caffeine and energy drinks are not very good for your health if one uses them to stay awake even...

EDITED: I worked at the Auto Plants 12 hours a day for 6 days a week and I was able to take a cat nap in the break room when my Quota was done. ;)