How can I stop my newly installed Webroot software from fighting with my daughters Windows Updates?

• 31 December 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hi all;  First want to say big thanks to everyone... especially Sherry, who showed enduring patience and kindness yesterday in assisting me..  After submitting a ticket as suggested and following instructions I have successfully deactivated my inactive device.  Wow... at this rate... in another 100 yrs. or so I'll be a Techie instead of a very non Non-Techie!  Cool! 

Now, just like the cat who came back... the very next day... I have another small problem.  After installing webroot on my daughter's device yesterday it is taking anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes for Windows updates to complete before the computer starts up. The computer is brand new, clean and empty.  Start up should be much faster.  Can someone let me know how to resovle this?   I truly appreciate everyone's help.  Best to all.  kevin 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ksanguin

Can you do something for me? Please close down everything that is open on the desktop of the laptop and then reboot/restart  Windows, and then see how long it takes to boot this time.

Windows updates usually include a component when either at shutdown or start up the operating system is upgrade with the latest updates and that can take aware betwee 2 minutes - 5 minutes depending on the size of the update and how far back in terms of updates your installation of WIndows is currently at.

This should only happen periodically once or twice a month at the very most...so I suspect that you just happened to hit a period when there was the need for a large update.

Try the above and post back with the results.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Good morning Baldrick;  Thanks for getting back to me.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  Busy day yesterday and not able
to get back to my computer after posting.  I will proceed as you suggest and let you know how it goes.  I hope your 2017 is off to amazing and personally satisfying start.  Best to you.

kevin
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi all;  First want to say big thanks to everyone... especially Sherry, who showed enduring patience and kindness yesterday in assisting me..  After submitting a ticket as suggested and following instructions I have successfully deactivated my inactive device.  Wow... at this rate... in another 100 yrs. or so I'll be a Techie instead of a very non Non-Techie!  Cool! 

Now, just like the cat who came back... the very next day... I have another small problem.  After installing webroot on my daughter's device yesterday it is taking anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes for Windows updates to complete before the computer starts up. The computer is brand new, clean and empty.  Start up should be much faster.  Can someone let me know how to resovle this?   I truly appreciate everyone's help.  Best to all.  kevin 
Thank you Kevin, Sorry I didn't get this post yesterday after being out all day. I am thrilled that you got Webroot deactivated. Learning is fun isn't it?

Looks like you are in good hands with Baldrick.;)

Happy New Year!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Good morning Sherry.  Good hands indeed!  I appreciate Baldrick's help... and everyone else's too.   I hope you enjoyed a nice day yesterday.  May 2017 be your best year yet... and many  more amazing, fulfilling, enriching, and personally and professionally satisfying years yet to come:D

kevin
Userlevel 7
Hi Kevin

No worries...it is after all the holiday period...;)

Will be interested to see how this pans out as if your system is attempting a Windows Update at every boot then there is something quite wrong which will need to be looked into.

But hopefully it is just an unhappy coincidence and whilst it may well happen from time to time will not cause too many issues.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks Baldrick.  I will get back to you if issues persist.  Family needs are bekoning.  All for now.  Have an excellent day.

kevin
Userlevel 7
You too. Kevin...must not keep the Family waiting...;)