Recipe: Brown Butter Irish Soda Bread

• 22 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Webroot Employee
  • 6 replies
You guessed it, folks: our March recipe is St. Patrick’s Day themed! But, rather than doing my usual twist on a traditional recipe, I’m going to just let a classic do its stuff. This recipe was recommended to me by a breadmaker of the highest caliber, and I must admit that even I, amateurish as I am at baked goods, managed a pretty perfect loaf of soda bread on my first try. My great grandmother would be proud!

Photo and recipe inspiration from Recipe Girl

Brown Butter Irish Soda Bread

Yield: 2 small round loaves
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients – Soda Bread:
  • ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 tsp packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
  • ½ cup dried currants
  • 1 egg white, beaten

Ingredients – Honey Butter (optional):
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 or 2 shakes of ground cinnamon
The Nitty Gritty

1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
  2. Melt the butter in small saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden brown (3-5 mins). You’ll need to keep a close eye on it and stir often to ensure that it doesn’t burn. Remove the pan from heat and set it aside to cool.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the brown butter and buttermilk until the flour mixture is moistened and comes together.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Sprinkle the currants on top and knead them gently into the dough until the dough comes together, about 7 turns. PRO TIP: You'll get the most tender soda bread by kneading the dough gently and briefly, just until it comes together, so that the gluten is minimally developed.
  5. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into ball, and lightly flatten each into 6-inch round.
  6. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Use a knife to cut a half-inch deep "X" in the top of each round of dough. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
  7. Bake the loaves until they turn deep golden brown and tester in the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
  8. Cool your loaves on a rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
  9. If you're accompanying this bread with yummy honey butter, all you have to do is mix those ingredients up in a small bowl until blended. Serve with the bread.

You certainly don’t have to pair this with the honey butter, but I highly recommend it. I shared some of Soda Bread version 1 with my neighbor, who contributed a few dollops of homemade marmalade and dandelion wine from his grandma and—OH. MY. GOODNESS.—it was heaven. Sláinte!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
wow those look totally amazing , and probably very tasty too! I will save this recipe , and will try it out for sure!!! thanks for sharing ( is caring ) 😛 ;) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks again @! Another tasty recipe for my collection!:D