Recipe: Thai Red Curry Salmon Noodle Bowl

• 18 January 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Webroot Employee
  • 6 replies
Here we are again, dear readers, embarking on another new year. It’s a typical Colorado January for us Webrooters, which means it could be anywhere from a snowy 10° to a sunny 60° tomorrow. Particularly as at least half the office don’t believe in keeping their colds to themselves, it can be a taxing time of the year for one’s immune system. To keep mine in top working order through all climatic ups and downs, I’m a big fan of hearty soups and stews full of antioxidants and immune boosters. Here’s one of my new favorites.

Photo and recipe inspiration from Thrive Market

Thai Red Curry Salmon Noodle Bowl

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil Options: canola, avocado, refined coconut oil, etc.
  • 1 package thin noodles, rinsed and drained Options: Asian vermicelli, egg noodles, zucchini noodles, kelp noodles, shirataki, etc.
  • Thai basil leaves, chopped cilantro, and sliced limes for garish Note: Thai basil and regular basil are different. If your local grocer doesn’t stock thai basil, skip it.
  • 20 ounces salmon, skinned and deboned, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 6 ounces broccolini
  • A handful of shredded carrot
  • 3 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks lemongrass, minced, with outer leaves removed and discarded
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon coriander
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoon soy sauce, gluten-free tamari, or coconut aminos
  • Juice of 4 limes
  • Juice of one orange

The Nitty Gritty

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add in curry paste.
  2. Stir in shallots and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring often.
  3. Add fish sauce, fresh orange juice, lime leaves, lemongrass, and ginger.
  4. Stir and sauté 2 minutes.
  5. Add in tomato paste, paprika, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, and coconut milk, bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
  6. In the meantime, start preparing your noodles per the package instructions.
  7. Back to your curry pan, stir in soy sauce / tamari / aminos and lime juice.
  8. Add salmon chunks and broccolini to pan and gently simmer for 5 minutes to cook until the fish flakes easily and broccolini is tender. If you prefer your broccolini a little crispier, sautee it in a separate pan and add it when you serve.
  9. Add shredded carrot as your final step.
  10. To serve, divide the noodles between four bowls and pour salmon curry on top. Garnish with thai basil, cilantro, sliced limes.

This recipe is super simple, once you have the ingredients on hand. You can also customize it easily by adding or swapping vegetables, and it’s extra yummy with a poached or soft-boiled egg. I’ve been known to make a vegan version sans salmon, with mung bean sprouts, chard, mushrooms, and sweet potato. The possibilities await! Be sure to let me know if you come up with any fun combinations.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52

I think this is a wonderful dish I'm going to try it