The Battle With Cancer Begins

Userlevel 7
I remember when TripleHelix and I joined this forum there were only a few members. It sure has grown within a year. During the end of last year TH and I communicated by PM’s about my health problem. The beginning of last year my white blood count was elevated. Another blood test was done near the end of the year and it was still elevated. I had a bone marrow biopsy done and on October 26 I was diagnosed to have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.  The cancer is in the early stage and as of now I don’t need Chemotherapy. I have found the hardest part after going through the initial shock of getting this bad news is telling family members and friends that you have it. I still haven’t told my sister because she has gone through enough last year with her husband passing away after 50 years of marriage. The reason for posting this is because I believe some members have seen a slow down with my activity on the forum. Just wanted to let you know Webroot is the Best and I’ll be here for the long haul. Some days are good and some not so good (feeling fatigue like having the flu). I just have to learn to cope with it. To bring some humor to this bad news, I drove for Schneider National Trucking for 16 years and got sick of looking at their Orange Trucks. Guess what the awareness ribbon color is for Leukemia: ORANGE!

Cheers,

Dave.

125 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi Dave,

I am so, so sorry to hear this news. You have the sympathy of everyone on our team, and we are all sending positive thoughts your way. You are a really important member of this community and I'm sure you have the support of many, many people who have read your post. Stay strong!

Userlevel 6
Dave,

I am only speaking for myself as I am sure the others will chime in, but I truly wish you the best of luck as you head down this road of recovery. Cancer is very prolific in my family, and having seen all stages of it, I hope you can keep your head up and spirits high. And as I consider you a part of my Webroot family, I will hold the best wishes close and dear to my heart.

I am sure you have already researched therapy and ways to cope, but wanted to present to you one more option: http://www.reddit.com/r/cancer/. This group is one of the most informed and open out there, and if you are ever in need of somewhere to just post (but not too much because we love you here), I would recommend that link.

Please keep us updated. I know I will be watching this thread every day.

Warm regards and wishes,
Richard
Userlevel 7
Dave - thank you so much for sharing with us. I am very sad to hear this and I appreciate all of your interactions with our team and other fans. :(

I am glad to see that you are staying positive and I will pray for you and for remission of the cancer. That sure is ironic... we may have to look into an orange truck for your avatar. Respect, prayers, and positive thoughts headed your way.

Userlevel 7
Dave (aka PTD),

I am so sorry to hear the that you've been diagnosed with this illness. It comes as a shock to all of us here on the Community and I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must have been for you to find out your white blood cell count was elevated and then have to wait until the end of the year to know why.

I really admire your bravery for posting here on the Webroot forums and even more so for having such a strong and positive attitude as you begin this major battle in your life. I am also glad to hear that you did find out early and that you don't need Chemo!

I truly believe you will win the fight against cancer. If there is anything I can do to help make the fight more manageable or if you just want to talk, please let me know!

Stay positive and keep on truckin'! We're here for you! 😃
Userlevel 7
Hang in there Dave. This will be a hard road ahead of you, but you've traveled some hard roads already no doubt. You're a positive guy, and that's important in getting through something like this. You have all of our respect and best wishes on your recovery. You're a huge part of this community, and we'll be here to support you and your recovery however we can. It means a lot that you shared this with us. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well Dave while I was reading this I was shocked like you said you were not feeling well for quite awhile now, got to know you more and more since we joined this community I knew of you from Wilders but got to know you here and I'm happy to call you Friend. As a Truck Driver you know the road can be long and lonely at times but I know you will ride this illness into remission keep up the good fight and I'm always here for you Dave and will be thinking of you during this battle and you will win.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Dave, I am very very sorry to learn such shocking diagnose. Whilst I don't know you personaly I feel you're realy nice guy and hence the more I was shocked. I am cordially wishing you success in your fight and I strongly believe you will overcome this nasty disease.

Best of luck,
Petr
Userlevel 7
Dave, I sincerely hope that your recovery will be a quick and easy one. As Richard said, cancer has been prevalent in my family as well and I hate to hear that anybody has to deal with it.

I know that there will be days when you will feel down in the dumps about it, but you know you have a ton of friends here. Feel free to talk with any of us here. Maybe we will have a joke or funny story for you, or we can just talk about the latest Java security hole.

No matter what, we will be here for you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
I am a doctor myself... and modern medicine has so advanced that cancer is not a demon as it once were.
Trust the treatment, trust yourself.. be strong and drive along like those huge trucks you play with like toys!
Be cheerful, always listen to your fav music.
I read somewhere...
What Cancer Cannot Do – Cancer is so limited… It cannot cripple love, It cannot shatter hope, It cannot corrode faith, It cannot destroy peace, It cannot kill friendship, It cannot suppress memories, It cannot silence courage, It cannot invade the soul, It cannot steal eternal life, It cannot conquer the spirit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dave,
We were all so sorry to read this news, but I know that your positive attitude will get you through!

The WRSupport!) wanted to show our support for you during this time so we're sporting new orange lanyards (courtesy of RichardM) to promote leukemia awareness and our good friend, ProTruckDriver!

Thanks for all you do for the Webroot Community and stay positive! We're "root"ing for you! :)

Userlevel 7
Thank you Webroot Team and Forum Members for your support on helping me fight this battle. I am honored to be a part of this Great Community. Reading all the replies to this post has put me in a more positive attitude and I know I will get through this. The end of next month I have an appointment with my Oncologist for more blood work. I'll keep my head high and hope for the best. Again, Thank you Webroot Team and Forum Members for your support. 😃
Userlevel 6
Hi Dave...I'm just reading this for the first time and certainly wish you all the best and keep you in prayer. May I suggest researching the net as there is a ton of info on how to strengthen your immune system and help your body battle this. Many people have been down this road and prevailed! Take care and keep us updated!
Userlevel 6
PTD, I think it’s wonderful that you posted in this forum.  It’s important to get it out in the open, talk about it, and learn that you have quite a support system here.  Don’t stop! 
Userlevel 7
Hello Forum Members. Just to give you an update on how I am doing with Leukemia, last week I had an appointment with my Oncologist at the Cancer Center for blood work. There is no change in the results, same as it was 3 months ago. This according to him is very good news since this Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia is not 100% curable and I will not be getting Chemotherapy if my blood work stays as is. I just have to cope with the fatigue and aches and pains that it brings some days. I have been doing some research on this cancer and have found some interesting articles. I have another appointment in 3 months for more blood work and if it remains the same then I'll be getting tested every 6 months instead of every 3. Thank you Forum Members for your Support.

Cheers,

Dave.  
Userlevel 7
Well, while not happy that the blood work has not improved, I am very glad to hear that things are holding steady.  Keep up the fight, and keep us informed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
That is really good news, and I hope that the next tests will show the same results so you can go to less frequent testing. I am sorry that you are having to deal with the pain and fatigue - hang in there and know we're all rooting for you!
Userlevel 7
Hi Dave,

Considering how this cancer is insidious and hard to treat completely, your blood result is the great news and I cordially wish many such great results and if possible even better ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you for the update, PTD! We're all still thinking of you over here on the Community team. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear Buddy and always keep smiling! 😃 You are always in my thought's.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
It's good to hear it hasn't gotten any worse. Keep up the fight!
Userlevel 6
Dave, I'm sure you've heard a lot of stories, but here's another one.  My mother had chronic lymphocytic leukemia for many years but had a normal and productive life.  She passed away at 98, and I don't think it was from CLL.

Stay positive!
Userlevel 2
I wish you well on your battle with cancer.  Its  a tough road but is beatable in a lot of cases.  My Dad is currently battling Stage IV melanoma.  Keep us posted on your progress.

God Bless.
Userlevel 6
This sounds good Dave...keep reading and researching; lots of info out there you may not hear about at the doctors office! God speed!  RR
Userlevel 7
Hello Forum members. As some of the members have noticed I haven't been on the forum lately. I had a visit from some members of our family a few weeks ago and spent time with them for a little over a week. I have some good news and some not so good news. For the good news: I had 2 visits to my Oncologist (June 17 & September 24). The blood work remains the same, no changes. Now instead of every 3 months going to see the Doc, he has extended it to every 6 months. :D

Now for the not so good news: My Wife will be seeing my Doctor Monday for blood work. She has developed swollen Lymph Nodes under the arms and also the lower neck. :( She is Pre-Diabetic and has been put on a new medication about 2 months ago. Hopefully this is a adverse reaction to the medication and not cancer. We'll know by the end of next week after the tests. Thank's again Forum Members for your Support and keep us in your Prayers & Thoughts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
This is the first time I have seen this topic Dave and it is a shock but I am really pleased that the blood work remains the same and they have now changed it to a 6 month check up instead of 3, that is a great sign.
I think going by what you say about you say about your wifes medication it could well be the new drugs, I sincerely hope so for both of your sakes.
Thank you for sharing this topic with us all and please keep us updated.