VLC, Kodi, Popcorn Time and Stremio Subtitles vulnerable

• 1 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
VLC, Kodi, Popcorn Time and Stremio vulnerable to malware fired from booby-trapped subtitles

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/2

By crafting malicious subtitle files for films and TV programmes, which are then downloaded by viewers, with the movie streaming apps like yemovies app attackers can hope to take complete control of any device running the vulnerable platforms. Hackers have pushed trojans under the guise of subtitle files as far back as 2003.

Did anybody else also got this thing on internet ?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
VLC, Kodi, Popcorn Time and Stremio vulnerable to malware fired from booby-trapped subtitles

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/2 ... es_return/

By crafting malicious subtitle files for films and TV programmes, which are then downloaded by viewers, attackers can hope to take complete control of any device running the vulnerable platforms. Hackers have pushed trojans under the guise of subtitle files as far back as 2003.

Did anybody else also got this thing on internet ?
Hi @ Yes I saw that earlier in May this year - Hackers can use subtitles to take over millions of devices running VLC, Kodi, Popcorn Time and Strem

JtR.
Userlevel 2
Now i don't even know that whether these new movie streaming apps are even safe or not. Sometime i feel like these hackers make these apps and make all those innocent people fell in tra, where they take all their precious details and offer just few free movies in return
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Now i don't even know that whether these new movie streaming apps are even safe or not. Sometime i feel like these hackers make these apps and make all those innocent people fell in tra, where they take all their precious details and offer just few free movies in return
I can understand what you mean. The problem is that any app which becomes popular becomes a target for the hackers, you just need to look at the problems which Apple are having right now (MS has always had them). People still say that Apple products do not get viruses etc. that is just rubbish now, they have beome a target like anything else.
The best thing you can is have a good security AV (such as Webroot) and stay clear of known danger areas such as peer to peer sharing sites and Torrent sites.
Userlevel 2
Yes. It might be that people who boast about that apple don't get virus. Might become target very easily.
Well i think jemma is right. May be that none od the people have got exploited but it might be that they get exploited in future. To avoid that I guess we need to move onto more secure and safe movie streaming apps