Yahoo has Verizon'ed me

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hot off Thunderbird:

If you haven't heard, Yahoo plans to sell its operating business to Verizon. We anticipate the completion of the transaction to occur in June 2017. At the completion, the Yahoo operating business will join the Verizon family of companies, and Yahoo Holdings, Inc. will be offering the Yahoo services you love and enjoy.

In connection with this proposed transaction, Yahoo is updating its terms of service. You can review the changes by visiting our Terms of Service.

These updated terms will automatically be effective on June 8, 2017, unless you cancel your Yahoo account before then.

That's it! We look forward to continuing to deliver your favorite products and services.

Yahoo

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would love to say goodbye to Yahoo but my ISP is using there email services so I'm kinda of stuck with them.

daniel

Yeah, I got that notice, too. I'm slowly emancipating myself from Yahoo. Hopefully Verizon knows how to resurrect the dead. 😛
Userlevel 7
Never used there services since trying them, finding them c@*p (albeit a long time ago), and consigning them to the rubbish tip...and nothing I have heard since has remotely been close to chnaging my mind. Verizon are welcome to whatever they are buying. :p
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Daniel,

My spouse and I have paid accounts strictly for the "disposable" email addresses that have come in handy. This is gonna be interesting. Still waiting for Amazon.com to buy Sears Holdings.
Userlevel 7
Now what's Verizon going to do with Yahoo? The same they did with me, send my account to AOL. Because Verizon is out of the Email service. Good Luck Yahoo users, the fun has just begone. :S
Sure glad I went to another email server before the warning from Verizon that they were transferring to AOL. No more important email for me going to Verizon/AOL.:D
@ wrote:
Verizon are welcome to whatever they are buying. :p
Which begs the question. Just what is Verizon getting for their 4.5 Billion dollars?

I guess Verizon is looking to corner-the-market for Spam and Fake News. :p

BD
Badge +8
I also had used Verizon for email. Their service in detecting SPAM was basically nonexistent. My accounts were seamlessly transferred to AOL. Verizon stated that they were getting out of the email business to focus on it's FIOS business. Television pays a lot more than free email. (Or should I say, email with their Internet access). They also stated that AOL did a much better job at filtering email, such as removing SPAM from your inbox. 

Personally, I was receiving, on average, approximately 100 spam messages daily (I had 4 email addresses). Since the transfer to AOL, the amount is from zero to two a day. What a wonderful.gift!! There is nothing that ruins my day more than manually deleting Verizon's spam emails. Their ridiculous blocked senders list basically blocked nothing.

While I could never have imagined that AOL would be a plus in my life, I must say they do a much better job than Verizon. I am stuck with Verizon as an ISP and landline. Life could be worse.

Theresa

I also use Outlook.com which is ok. I know I have a lot of email accounts, don't ask!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Theresa--

Since reading the national headlines about Verizon finalizing the purchase, I've been waiting with bated breath for the "Welcome to Verizon" email. I, too use Outlook.com on our Windows phones (suppress laughter). --Rick
Userlevel 7
Love me some Coco.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Have not had RC Cola since 1969 drinking mass-quanities with buckets of Kentucky Fried in our training barracks in USAF tech school, Chanute AFB, IL. I'll be happy to retain our paid Yahoo addresses and aliases intact whatever Verizon wants to be.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Personally, I was receiving, on average, approximately 100 spam messages daily (I had 4 email addresses). Since the transfer to AOL, the amount is from zero to two a day. What a wonderful.gift!! There is nothing that ruins my day more than manually deleting Verizon's spam emails. Their ridiculous blocked senders list basically blocked nothing.
100 spam messages a day! What have you been clicking on? I received maybe 1 or 2 spam messages a month on Verizon.
Yes AOL has a much better spam filter but there is way too much political BS and advertisements on there for me. I still have the account for Verizon/AOL plus another 5 accounts from AOL when I got my first computer. I only use AOL for non important emails.