cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate entries when upgrading to Windows 10

Community Guide

Re: Duplicate entries when upgrading to Windows 10

I can understand that, but in an organization where the systems have different host names, a duplicate hostname is a bit rare and should be able to trigger something.

Plus, we can't always deactivate BEFORE because these updates for Windows 10, either from 7/8 to 10 or from 10 to 10 anniversary edition because in the case of upgrades within 10, MS forces that down our throats and we don't always have control if our clients endpoints or the client themselves update the systems.

This still needs to be addressed. This doesn't seem to be an issue with other management consoles for other vendors i've seen/used.

Can't even get a report at the GSM top level that can tell us what sites have systems with duplicate hostnames and their OS version/build. At least then we could narrow it down.

Community Guide

Webroot Employee

@jhartnerd123 - fully understand the frustration and problem regarding how the current MID implementation effects you guys Getting this resolved is something that's been put forth to our development team on my calls and communications, so it's not falling on deaf ears, just not easy.

How the agent currently derives uniqueness is complex and not trivial and changing that mechanism will be hard, was the point I was/am trying to express. 8-)

A quick fix to help would be GSM level endpoint/site searches for various variables, duplicates included. This feature has been asked for and from what I understand, it's in the works.

Shane Cooper | Sr Systems Engineer - Webroot
New Voice

Just an update to the end point duplication saga and perhaps another wrinkle in it.

I found while reviewing an account today that there were multiple systems duplicated on an account (3) and none of them look to be from a Windows OS upgrade / update.

It appears that there are server and desktop OS systems that had endpoints duplicated.

Just called support and placed a ticket to have the duplicates merged in the account (ticket # 58787) and support advised that this probably won't get done till the new year as they are quite backlogged at the moment.

Thanks,

Jeff

Webroot Employee

@Jcard - I can't speak for the specific response by support, but there are several scenerios where duplication may occur besides OS upgrades. Virtualization, VDI and ghosting/imaging technology all have specific issues based upon how those images were created/generated/duplicated.

If these were in fact unique physical machines, then that's something dev/pm team will have to investigate and get resolved.

If you're interested in creating uniqueness or forcing it, use the -uniquedevice (Instead of the -clone) switch during installations.

This help document may help. (-uniquedevice is not listed, but it may give you an idea about various deployment options to minimize duplicates.

New Voice

@coscooper for the most part our end points are deployed through LabTech which I thought when working with WR support was already set to use a uniquie identifier as when I see the endpoints in the webroot console I can see the there is the system name with a "dash + additional digits" such as the following: LR90FRU32-1FF5E0D5.

Not entirely sure if what you referenced is already set to deploy when doing so through Labtech, although that was my impression when talking with support initially when moving to Webroot.

Thanks,
Jeff

Webroot Employee

@Jcard - Yep, that's what I was referencing and yes, LT has the Unique Device enabled by default. So, guess that wasn't helpful for your situation. 8-)

Highlighted
New Voice

I understand that there might be customers where having multiple endpoints in the same site with the same computer name might be required, this situation is obviously far from normal. Wouldnt it be feasible to have an option to turn on (even if this is not the default) to not allow more than one endpoint with the same computer name in a given site?