Questions on application protection settings

• 8 February 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Could use an explanation here. Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to determine the best settings for mainly web browsers, but I'm a little confused as to the options and combinations of each .

My options are as follows :

Protect, Allow or Deny with  combinations of 2 of the 3.

It seems I can choose 3 different scenarios. I can select Allow/Deny, Protect/Allow or Protect/Deny.

Given these explainations for each below, unless I'm misunderstanding something how would it possible to have 
have an application both under "Protect" and "Allow" at the same time?

OR, an application set to "Allow" and "Deny" simultaneously?

As I stated, I must be misunderstanding the explanations.

Protect. “Protected applications” are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system. You might want to add financial management software to the category. When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock: [wsa_icon_lock.png]

Allow. “Allowed applications” are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as “Deny,” you can change it to “Allow.”

Deny. “Denied applications” cannot view or capture protected data on the system, but can otherwise run normally.

1 reply

Hi @

I've just noticed your question. Sorry that so far you seem to have received no response from anyone.

Maybe this response from a Webroot employee, quoted in a post by TripleHelix, may be of some help to you? Beyond that (i.e. if you have further questions), it would probably be best to contact Support* for more information.

Hope this helps.

*Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responds will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.