10 security mistakes that will get you fired

• 22 November 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

By Roger A. Grimes

Getting fired from an IT security job is a rare event, but there are certainly ways to ensure or accelerate your own unemployment. I’m not talking about garden-variety mistakes here. After all, most IT workers create or live with lots of little mistakes every day. That’s the nature of complex, rewarding work.

But it’s also a large reason why IT doesn’t do a better job at computer security. As systems become more complicated and companies more responsible for increasingly sensitive private information, the stakes for IT security keep escalating. With increased stakes comes increased pressure on those charged with fortifying corporate defenses.
[ Watch out for 11 signs you've been hacked -- and learn how to fight back, in InfoWorld's PDF special report. | Discover how to secure your systems with InfoWorld's Security newsletter. ]Trust your skills, follow corporate directives, and concentrate on the basics, and you’ll have a long career in IT security. Help your employer right-size its defenses in the right places, and you’ll excel. But fall prey to one of the following mistakes, and you’ll be looking for new work -- maybe a new career -- more often than notfull article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Anthony, 

I rather like this article!  While it has some rather humorous points, they are all quite true.  I once got in a bit of hot water by removing and blocking access to an online game site.......   OOOPS.   🙂