2016's biggest privacy threat: Your phone

Userlevel 7
How your phone reveals all your secrets. Literally.
Violet Blue,@violetblue

Found this one quite a good read and very informative!

"When it comes to handing malicious hackers' intimate details about our lives, right now Yahoo is leading the pack as one of the worst threats to privacy in recent history.

Yet there's one thing that has Yahoo beat in both the amount and sensitivity of the data being leaked, as well as the frequency. And like IoT appliances, it's a well-known and massive problem among security professionals, but it doesn't garner a lot of attention from the public.

I'm talking about your smartphone.

Every step you take, every place with WiFi that you visit, and even friends who end up in your physical proximity can be revealed to anyone with a couple of bucks, the ability to program a Raspberry Pi and the will to violate your life."

Full Article

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Great article @. If everyone with a "smart" phone could read this, a lot of them would get quite a shock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Great article @  It certainly gives me the chills when reading it......I think I'll go back to string and 2 cups LOL :D  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Baldrick, This is a very disturbing article....but how do we fix this? Get rid of our smart phones? Even if you encrpt your device they still can get some our information. You can shut off your bluetooth, GPS...but that's still not enough...:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@  You can shut off your bluetooth, GPS...but that's still not enough

and take out the battery  😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@  You can shut off your bluetooth, GPS...but that's still not enough

and take out the battery  ;)
I still think that's not enough...there is spyware programs that can track you even with the battery out.:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
It is a very simple choice we all have actually, either give up these so called "Smart" devices or continue using them on the understanding that you will be tracked, hacked and listened to.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
It is a very simple choice we all have actually, either give up these so called "Smart" devices or continue using them on the understanding that you will be tracked, hacked and listened to.
People may laugh all they want at me, but I have no problems with the "Jitterbug" flip phone. :S:p

https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/28294i9C022D361B680034.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
People may laugh all they want at me, but I have no problems with the "Jitterbug" flip phone. :S:p

https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/webroot-en/attachment/28294i9C022D361B680034.1
It looks great @ and I like that 5 Star button and what it can do, I just do not see the point of always being connected on a smart phone, I am glad I am not alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I believe we have been listened to (in the USA) by our own government.  :S:(
Userlevel 7
Ah...the sickly sweet 'smell' of paranoia...;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Ah...the sickly sweet 'smell' of paranoia...;)
No, I just don't know how to work all those buttons on a smart device. Plus the buttons are to darn small for my pudgy fingers. ROFL. 😃