5 essential tips for staying safe online

• 17 October 2014
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 7
By Mark Wilson Posted on 10/17/2014

The security of the internet is an on-going concern. Whether you're online for fun, or you're conducting business, there are all manner of pitfalls you may encounter. Issues such as viruses and malware are now widely known about, but these are far from being the only security issues to concern yourself with. Security has been thrown into the limelight once again by high-profile stories like the Fappening, problems with SnapChat, concerns about the Whisper app, and the POODLE SSL 3.0 vulnerability.
A large proportion of companies and individuals are aware of the importance of anti-virus and anti-malware tools, firewalls and the like. Security tools are all well and good, but there's also a lot to be said in favor of changing online behaviors; it's something that the online community and businesses are increasingly coming to understand. Much of what this entails -- taking care about the personal information you share and educating yourself about services before you use them -- is common sense, but it bears repeating.

Jean Dobey is CEO of Virtual Artifacts, a company focused on producing tools that allow for communication, social networking, online payments, and shopping without compromising security. He has a number of tips which can help to protect user privacy and personal information.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Interesting article but to be honest it is a bit pointless as they have been regurgitating the same thing for years...user behaviour has to change and people are realising this is the case. But even after 15 years of saying/writing this nothing has changed and people are just as balse about how they use the internet as they have always been...it is just like what they say aboute using mobile phones/cells whilst driving...yes,we all kno or sayit is not a good thing/should not be done...but they are still prosecuting an increaasing no. of people for doing just that.

I think that we should just accept that humans will never learn and journalist will alwaays periodically recycle old 'news'.

Apologies...rant over...;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Interesting article but to be honest it is a bit pointless as they have been regurgitating the same thing for years...user behaviour has to change and people are realising this is the case. But even after 15 years of saying/writing this nothing has changed and people are just as balse about how they use the internet as they have always been...it is just like what they say aboute using mobile phones/cells whilst driving...yes,we all kno or sayit is not a good thing/should not be done...but they are still prosecuting an increaasing no. of people for doing just that.

I think that we should just accept that humans will never learn and journalist will alwaays periodically recycle old 'news'.

Apologies...rant over...;)
I see SOME value in it.  For those who have been on the internet all this time, it is indeed a lost cause.  They have not heeded this far, and they are not likely to.

This same old message MIGHT reach the eyes of some in the younger generation, just now becoming active on the internet.  For THEM, maybe it can save a few souls from headaches.

:)
Userlevel 7
Apologies David but I am far from convinced...perhaps I am press sceptic...but a lot of them just seem to trot out the same old litany of advice based on dubious conjecture and speculation...so excuse me if I don't hold my breath for a miracle of enlightment in the apparently enlighten generation.

Solly
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Apologies David but I am far from convinced...perhaps I am press sceptic...but a lot of them just seem to trot out the same old litany of advice based on dubious conjecture and speculation...so excuse me if I don't hold my breath for a miracle of enlightment in the apparently enlighten generation.

Solly
Just like our generation, it will hit home for...... 1%.  The other 99% will have to keep paying for repair services, etc etc etc.

:)
Userlevel 7
OK, perhaps...but I think that you are optimistic...more like 1/4 of a percentage point...perhaps. ;)