A Look Into Malvertising Attacks Targeting The UK

• 16 March 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
March 16, 2016 | BY Jérôme Segura

We recently stumbled upon a malvertising incident on a large British newspaper site which we decided to investigate in greater details.

As with many attacks we have found lately, the line between legitimate advertisers and rogue ones is getting finer and finer. Indeed, in many cases ad networks simply cannot tell them apart without actual proof of malicious activity.

As we outlined it in our recent research paper entitled “Operation Fingerprint“, replaying those attacks can be extremely difficult, and without the smoking gun, one cannot simply close a case.

To illustrate this point, we will check out this incident and show that there is a proliferation of rogue advertisers using clever disguises to push booby trapped adverts.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
This a great article taking an ingteresting approach...and yes, the line between the Good & the Dark Side is getting finer and finer as greed sets in and more and more is expected of advertising in terms of revenue targets, etc.

We are heading towards a melt down in my opinion. :(
Userlevel 7
The old saying "money talks" and these criminals know it and exploit it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
This a great article taking an ingteresting approach...and yes, the line between the Good & the Dark Side is getting finer and finer as greed sets in and more and more is expected of advertising in terms of revenue targets, etc.

We are heading towards a melt down in my opinion. :(
I am of the same opinion as you Baldrick, I don't like the way things are going at all.
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Jasper...sometimes I think that I am an old fogey with strange views when it comes to the outside world. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Thanks, Jasper...sometimes I think that I am an old fogey with strange views when it comes to the outside world. ;)
Just old enough to see the potential problems on the horizon that is all 😉
Userlevel 7
And a number that have been before, disappeared and are...LOL...reappearing because people have short memories. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
And a number that have been before, disappeared and are...LOL...reappearing because people have short memories. :(
Precisely.