A Not-So Civic Duty: Asprox Botnet Campaign Spreads Court Dates and Malware

• 16 June 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
June 16, 2014 | By Amanda Stewart and Grace Timcang

Executive Summary
FireEye Labs has been tracking a recent spike in malicious email detections that we attribute to a campaign that began in 2013. While malicious email campaigns are nothing new, this one is significant in that we are observing mass-targeting attackers adopting the malware evasion methods pioneered by the stealthier APT attackers. And this is certainly a high-volume business, with anywhere from a few hundred to ten thousand malicious emails sent daily – usually distributing between 50 and 500,000 emails per outbreak.
Through the FireEye Dynamic Threat Intelligence (DTI) cloud, FireEye Labs discovered that each and every major spike in email blasts brought a change in the attributes of their attack. These changes have made it difficult for anti-virus, IPS, firewalls and file-based sandboxes to keep up with the malware and effectively protect endpoints from infection. Worse, if past is prologue, we can expect other malicious, mass-targeting email operators to adopt this approach to bypass traditional defenses.

Figure 1: Attack Architecture

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
It never ceases to amaze me what the forces of the Dark Side will come up with next to hit us 'good folk' where it hurts...this stuff is quite ingenious...hopefully the pros at Webroot have got this little scary in their sights already?
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well it stands to reason that the better an anti-virus, spam filter etc gets, the more they have to try and bring out different ways to get past our defences. There is never a chance to take a rest, we do that and as Frazer would say in "Dads Army" we are "all doomed" ;)
I have no doubt that Webroot are aware of this one, whenever I find something "new" they seem to have known about it for a few days.