AA password reset email cockup crashes servers

• 26 June 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Motoring monolith stalls as punters slam into website

By John Leyden 26 Jun 2017  UK car insurance giant the AA caused all sorts of confusion on Monday after accidentally sending out a "password update" email to people.

The alert led to motorists rushing to log into the motoring organization's website to change their passwords, only to overload the servers and effectively run them over. Brits were furious after discovering that they couldn't access their profiles, fearing hackers had broken into their accounts and changed their passwords.

Full Article.

3 replies

Badge +8
Hi Jasper,

That is a good one. It reminded me of when Obamacare first became Law.

Apparently, the government did not anticipate the deluge of people attempting to sign up. Well, I am being too kind. Let's just say that they were not prepared.:$ The website could not handle the traffic and if memory serves me correctly, they had to set up an entirely new web address. The sign in issues went on ad nauseum.

It was front page news for weeks. No, I do not want to mention what is happening to our health care system today.

Theresa

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
The AA’s response has been at best shambolic, and at worst downright deceitful.
Graham Cluley | July 4, 2017 Last night, the AA (the UK's Automobile Association) tweeted that it had resolved a "data issue" on its shop website following reports that sensitive data (including customers' names, addresses, email addresses, and partial credit card information) has been exposed on a publicly-accessible server.

The AA Shop data issue is now fixed, No Credit Card info was compromised & an independent investigation is under way. We're sorry.
 Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Well, who do we believe in these cases...I cannot see the point of The AA lying about this...given their reputation. Am wondering if someone is out to cause mischief or something akin? :S