light bulb

Did You Know?

Topics: 3,630
Kudos: 7,082

AOL email hacked: Several users complain about compromised accounts

la-fi-tn-aol-hacked-email-phishing-twitter-201-001.png

You've got (spam) mail.

Several AOL users are complaining on Twitter that their email accounts have been hacked and are being used to send out spam to others.

Multiple users have said that their accounts have been affected despite not being used in a long time. Among them is Los Angeles Times Food Editor Russ Parsons.

"I've gotten a couple of emails from friends telling me that my AOL account had been hacked and that they were getting spammed by it. The thing is, that account has been closed for at least two years," Parsons said in an email.

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader

Re: AOL email hacked: Several users complain about compromised accounts

I saw a large number of tickets in Support from AOL customer complaining of similar. Most had already changed there passwords so I guessed something was up. 

AOL imposes stricter email rules to stem spoofing attack

AOL instructs mailbox providers to reject any email allegedly associated with an AOL domain that didn't originate from an AOL server.

AOL is imposing a stricter email-validation process aimed at stamping down a massive spoofing attack that has plagued users for the past couple of days, the company said Tuesday.

Following a similar move by Yahoo earlier this month, AOL changed its DMARC policy to "reject," meaning that a line of text has been added to its DNS record instructing mailbox providers to reject any email allegedly associated with an AOL domain that didn't originate from an AOL server. Although the header of a spoofed email has been specially crafted to make it appear the message originated from a specific AOL email address, it in fact never crosses AOL's servers.

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader

Topics: 211
Kudos: 5,182
Ideas: 9

Re: AOL imposes stricter email rules to stem spoofing attack

AOL Mail locks down email servers to deal with spam tsunami

Security problems like it's 1995

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v8.0.8.89...+ VoodooShield v2.70g Beta....working together as the NEW perfect combination! And backed up by Macrium Reflect v6

AOL traces mystery spam flood to security breach; passwords and more stolen

AOL is asking users to reset their passwords as it investigates a recent flurry of spam e-mails.

According to Reuters, the uptick in AOL spam is related to a security breach that affected roughly 2 percent of users. Hackers made off with e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, encrypted passwords, and encrypted security questions. AOL says it's still investigating the matter in conjunction with federal employees.

So far, there's no evidence that the encryption on passwords and security questions has been broken. There's no sign of financial information being compromised either, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader