cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

Sr. Community Expert Advisor

Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

Hostile JavaScript delivered through ads installs ransomware on older Android phones.

2016-07-18_12-11-32.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

4 REPLIES
Gold VIP
Computers
Webroot

Re: Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

This sounds pretty bad for users ,using the older Android OS. Why wouldn't Google patch all these Androids, A large percentage will never see the update.Smiley Mad

Sherry

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC) | Download (Best Buy Subscription) | Submit Trouble Ticket | Account Console | User_Guides | BrightCloud URL lookup

Register
and Introduce yourself to The Community!

ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Pro x64 / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), IPad's, PCs,W 10 & W 8.1 R Pro. W 7 Pro ..Lenovo (VM:10) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Note 4) Beta Tester,Windows Insider Builds
Gold VIP

Re: Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

The problem is I suspect, Sherry, that many of the phones you speak of are running a non vanilla version of Android, i.e., tweak by the phone providers or networks in an attempt to out do each other...and as a result a vanilla version of a new Android OS cannot be installed until the aforementioned phone providers or networks update their 'versions' too.

In the end don't go for a customised version of Android...stick with someone who provides a vanilla implementation...more boring perhaps but at least one can update it when Google provide an update. Smiley Wink

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.18.44, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.1

Dogspectus ransomware campaign relies on Leaked Hacking Team Exploits and Towelroot

It appears the name for that ransomware is Dogspectus, I wonder who gives them these crazy names and why.

April 26, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

Blue Coat spotted a new ransomware-based campaign serving the Dogspectus malware. Crooks combined a Hacking Team exploit and the Towelroot exploit.

Security experts at Blue Coat have spotted a new campaign spreading an Android Ransomware dubbed Dogspectus. The malicious code hijacks mobile advertisements to scam gift cards, it locks the device in a state that allows only victims to make payment.

Full Article

2016-07-18_12-11-32.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Gold VIP

Re: Dogspectus ransomware campaign relies on Leaked Hacking Team Exploits and Towelroot

I suspect that it is a reflection on their warped minds & sense of importance...LOL

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.18.44, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.1