light bulb

Did You Know?

Topics: 10,429
Kudos: 34,194

Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

Hostile JavaScript delivered through ads installs ransomware on older Android phones.

Sr. Community Expert Advisor

Topics: 107
Kudos: 23,010

Re: Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

This sounds pretty bad for users ,using the older Android OS. Why wouldn't Google patch all these Androids, A large percentage will never see the update.Smiley Mad

Kind Regards,

Sherry

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC) | Download (Best Buy Subscription) | Submit Trouble Ticket | Account Console | User_Guides | BrightCloud URL lookup

Register
and Introduce yourself to The Community!

ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Pro x64 / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), IPad's, PCs,W 10 & W 8.1 R Pro. W 7 Pro ..Lenovo (VM:10) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Note 4) Beta Tester,Windows Insider Builds
Topics: 281
Kudos: 24,109
Ideas: 10

Re: Active drive-by exploits critical Android bugs, care of Hacking Team

The problem is I suspect, Sherry, that many of the phones you speak of are running a non vanilla version of Android, i.e., tweak by the phone providers or networks in an attempt to out do each other...and as a result a vanilla version of a new Android OS cannot be installed until the aforementioned phone providers or networks update their 'versions' too.

In the end don't go for a customised version of Android...stick with someone who provides a vanilla implementation...more boring perhaps but at least one can update it when Google provide an update. Smiley Wink

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.17.24, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7

Topics: 10,429
Kudos: 34,194

Dogspectus ransomware campaign relies on Leaked Hacking Team Exploits and Towelroot

[ Edited ]

It appears the name for that ransomware is Dogspectus, I wonder who gives them these crazy names and why.

April 26, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

Blue Coat spotted a new ransomware-based campaign serving the Dogspectus malware. Crooks combined a Hacking Team exploit and the Towelroot exploit.

Security experts at Blue Coat have spotted a new campaign spreading an Android Ransomware dubbed Dogspectus. The malicious code hijacks mobile advertisements to scam gift cards, it locks the device in a state that allows only victims to make payment.

Full Article

Sr. Community Expert Advisor

Topics: 281
Kudos: 24,109
Ideas: 10

Re: Dogspectus ransomware campaign relies on Leaked Hacking Team Exploits and Towelroot

I suspect that it is a reflection on their warped minds & sense of importance...LOL

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.17.24, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7