American Express Notifies Cardholders of Third-Party Breach

• 16 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by Michael Mimoso March 16, 2016  

American Express has begun notifying cardholders that their data may have been compromised in a third-party breach.

A notification letter filed on March 10 with California’s attorney general indicates that AmEx account numbers, user names and other information including expiration dates may have been accessed.

“We became aware that a third party service provider engaged by numerous merchants experienced unauthorized access to its system. Account information of some of our Card Members, including some of your account information, may have been involved,” American Express chief privacy officer Stefanie Ash said in the letter. “It is important to note that American Express owned or controlled systems were not compromised by this incident, and we are providing this notice to you as a precautionary measure.”

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well that is one credit carde that I do not have! LOLs
Userlevel 7
Well, I do have one...I have to for business purposes...LOL...so this is somewhat worrying...but have to say that so far I have no notification of anything untoward from the Car Company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I don't how efficient it would actually be in cases like this but the card companies do seem to be pretty well switched on and do phone up they suspect fraudulent activity.
Userlevel 7
Well, I hope that you are right, Jasper, as if that is indeed the case and I have not heard then hopefully that means that my details are safe. :8
Userlevel 7
I don't have this particular card however as big as they are I'm sure they are on top of this problem and will protect their customers.