Android SMS Stealer Hides as Mobile Payments Security App

• 11 February 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

The malicious app's name is AliPay-Security Controls

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/android-sms-stealer-hides-as-mobile-payments-security-app-500261-3.png
                                                          Ali-Pay Security Controls will steal its target's SMS messages.

Feb 11, 2016 10:32 GMT  ·  By Catalin Cimpanu  Users looking to protect their online payments via special security apps may be in for a surprise, finding themselves infected with an SMS-stealing trojan instead, mobile security vendor Zscaler reports.

Most of these infections are occurring in China, via Android applications hosted on third-party stores. The app in question is named AliPay-Security Controls, which is advertised as a security tool to safeguard payments made through AliPay.

AliPay is a third-party online payments platform, activating in 14 countries, supporting 65 financial institutions, and serving over 300 big brands. The company is Chinese, and as with anything Chinese, the platform is a clone of something, and in AliPay's case, a clone of PayPal.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I for one will not use mobile apps for payment online. To many things can go wrong not enough protection yet in my opinion.