Android security boss says users don’t need anti-virus. He’s wrong wrong wrong

• 6 July 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
By: Graham Cluley

Adrian Ludwig is the lead engineer for Android security at Google. In this role, he is responsible for the security of the Android platform and Google’s applications and services for Android.
So you would expect him to know a thing or two about the risks that Android users are exposed to on the platform.
Unfortunately, judging by a report in the Sydney Morning Herald of what Ludwig told journalists at a recent meeting, he appears to be living in cloud cuckoo land.
Here are some quotes from the report:
The majority of Android smartphone and tablet users do not need to install anti-virus and other security apps to protect them, despite dire warnings from security companies selling such products, Google’s head of Android security says.
Woah! That’s a strong and contentious opinion.
And he’s not alone in sharing it.

HotforSecurity/ Full Read Her/ http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/android-security-boss-says-users-dont-need-anti-virus-hes-wrong-wrong-wrong-9466.html

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Really? The amount of mobile malware we now are seeing come into the wild, including on Google Play, and he says it is not needed?  I think Google needs to have a new Security Boss as theirs is out to lunch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I could buy Apple saying that, but Android lets you install anything on your phone, without even going through the Google Play store.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I could buy Apple saying that, but Android lets you install anything on your phone, without even going through the Google Play store.
It does indeed, though I think the default setting is to have 3rd party installs disabled.  Still, it is a merely couple of taps to turn the protection off and most users when prompted to do so.... will.  😞
Userlevel 6
On a Windows system you can download and install software from anywhere ;)
There's no 100% protection; even with AV, restricted rights, 3rd party blocking... Users are still getting getting infected. Even a controlled app store can contain malware, which we've seen on every mobile platform.
A common security awareness is still the best feature to secure yourself. And on mobile devices I'm using an AV rather because if the anti theft function.

@David: It's disabled by default, but if you try to install a apk you're getting a message with a direct link to enable it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

@: It's disabled by default, but if you try to install a apk you're getting a message with a direct link to enable it.
Exactly :)  And when prompted, the average user will go ahead and do just that without even thinking twice.

:)
Userlevel 6
Of course they will do that. It's the same with malware alerts from Antivirus with a button to allow the blocked application 🙂