Apple: Don't panic, but your Mac can be pwned via GarageBand .bands

• 14 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

macOS gets patch for critical flaw in music app

14 Feb 2017 at 22:29, Shaun Nichols

Apple says a newly patched hole in its GarageBand music tool could allow for remote code execution on the Mac.

The GarageBand 10.1.6 update is being pushed out to all Macs running OS X Yosemite and later. Because GarageBand is installed by default on OS X systems, all Mac owners should install the patch, but those who regularly use the music composing software should pay particular attention.

The lone flaw addressed in the update, CVE-2017-2374, allows an attack to remotely execute simply by running a malformed .band file. Apple uses the .band format for all GarageBand project files.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Yep, got the patch yesterday. ;)

@ wrote:

I'd love to hear some of your music, Dave! :D

Don't use Garage Band since I don't have a Mac. I use Sony Acid Pro.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

BD
All new to me, I use BBC Radio 4. 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

BD
All new to me, I use BBC Radio 4. ;)
Sorry to say, I haven't used it yet. 😳 GarageBand was on the computer when I bought it. I think I'm going to play around with it this weekend. @ do you use it and if you do what do you think of it?
I have been doing a lot of research on the Mac, Malware / Threats / old post on this Forum on the Mac (so if you posted a few years back and see a Kudo on the post, it me researching. LOL) Very interesting. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi PTD,

No I have never used it...too many other toys on this Mac. When it saids in app purchases..I back out.. This would be the very first time I have opened up GarageBand. I'll have a look too.. Thanks for asking.

Yes I haven't notiiced you snooping around..;) You have been looking back into Mac posts for awhile now. Bravo PTD. I always need help wiith the Mac's. 😃