Apple Pay Competitor CurrentC Hacked

• 30 October 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
By Eduard Kovacs on October 30, 2014

Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), the developer of the mobile payment system called CurrentC, is notifying some users that their email addresses have been stolen by hackers.
"Within the last 36 hours, we learned that unauthorized third parties obtained the e-mail addresses of some of you. Based on investigations conducted by MCX security personnel, only these e-mail addresses were involved and no other information," read the emails sent out by the company to affected individuals.
MCX says the breach affects participants in the CurrentC pilot program and those who have expressed interest in the product. The company has advised impacted users to be on the lookout for phishing emails, and avoid clicking on links or attachments contained in suspicious messages.
The company clarified in a blog post published on Wednesday that many of the compromised email addresses are actually dummy accounts used only for testing purposes. The CurrentC app itself is not impacted by the breach, MCX said.
"We have notified our merchant partners about this incident and directly communicated with each of the individuals whose email addresses were involved. We take the security of our users’ information extremely seriously. MCX is continuing to investigate this situation and will provide updates as necessary," the organization stated.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
So, a few days ago several large chains pulled the plug on NFC transactions (Which what Apply Pay uses), and now CurrentC is hacked, and I think this is before some uses have even received their cards.

I have said it before... but here it comes again.  "In CASH I trust".  All others are insecure.