Apple pulled popular Instagram client from App Store after someone found it was harvesting passwords

• 11 November 2015
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
11th November by James Cook,

An unofficial Instagram app has been removed from the App Store after a developer dug into its code and discovered that it was secretly harvesting usernames and passwords and posting spam to user accounts, AppleInsider reports.

"Who Viewed Your Profile -- InstaAgent" was an app that claimed to tell users who had viewed their Instagram profile. Of course, you can't actually tell who viewed your profile, so the app was a little suspicious.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I thought Apple actually had SOME form of review of apps before they were posted.  Even the most rudimentary inspection of that app (Just reading the description) would be enough to be a huge red flag LOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I thought Apple actually had SOME form of review of apps before they were posted.  Even the most rudimentary inspection of that app (Just reading the description) would be enough to be a huge red flag LOL!
I agree. That is what I thought made the Apple apps so safe, it looks like everyone has been misled.
Userlevel 7
I thought " A apple a day keeps the cyber criminals away" ????