Australian data breach notification laws will not be passed in 2015: Brandis

• 13 October 2015
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
The Australian Attorney-General has ruled out the passage of any laws to legislate for data breach notification for this year, with the government only intending to introduce such legislation.

By Chris Duckett | October 13, 2015

Despite the Joint Parliamentary Committee on Intelligence and Security recommending that Australia have data breach notification laws in place before the end of 2015, Australian Attorney-General George Brandis told the Senate on Tuesday that laws would not be passed this year.

Responding to questioning from Greens Senator Scott Ludlam, Brandis corrected the record at the end of Senate question time to say data breach legislation would only be introduced to Parliament this year.

"Senator Ludlam, you asked what the government's intentions were in relation to legislation for a mandatory data breach notification scheme, and as I recall, my answer was that the government intends to legislate for such a scheme this year. I should have said the government intends to introduce legislation before the end of this year," Brandis said.

Full Article

0 replies

Be the first to reply!