Be careful Amazon is selling products infected with malware

• 10 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Although this does say Amazon this issue could be on many sites.

April 10, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

Beware, even things on Amazon come with embedded malware… this is the disconcerting discovery made by the expert Mark Olsen.

The security expert Mike Olsen warned about the presence of malware in products sold through the Amazon service. Olsen was searching for outdoor surveillance cameras on Amazon for a friend’s home. He has found an interesting offer on Amazon, a deal for a set of 6 poe cameras and recording equipment.                    http://i2.wp.com/securityaffairs.co/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Outdoor-surveillance-cameras-set-Amazon.png?zoom=1.5&resize=1024%2C559Once in possession of the outdoor camera set, he tried to install its control software on the friend’s machine. By logging into the admin webpage he noticed the interface showed the camera feed, but none of the normal controls or settings was available.Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Not Amazon! Thanks for the heads up Jasper! My favorite place to shop too! :@
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Who, what when where HOW?!

Is this even legal? I am not sure about the legalities on Amazon but they would surely have some accountability for issues like this 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I wonder how many people would have actually noticed, it is only by chance that an expert noticed there was a problem that it was found.
Userlevel 7
This is old hat...not sure why this journalist thinks he has a scoop...LOL.

I was looking to by some USB sticks just before Christmas and in the reviews in relation to a number of lots of sticks (usually sourced from China) there was continual reference to the need to scan the sticks before use as many of them came with a little 'extra', i.e., malware.

As you may have guessed...I went out and bought some branded sticks from a reputable high street supplier. ;)