Beware: Free Antivirus Isn’t Really Free Anymore

• 6 June 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Free antivirus applications aren’t what they used to be. Free antivirus companies are now bundling adware, spyware, toolbars, and other junk to make a quick buck.

At one point, free antivirus was just advertising, pushing users to upgrade to the paid products. Now, free antivirus companies are making money through advertising, tracking, and junkware installations.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Nice article @ and thanks for posting this, which shows the ever-increasing elusiveness of the "free lunch", and the stark limitations of some of these products.  

Userlevel 3
Whereas others would initially prefer free antivirus over paid subscriptions, I personally already began noticing the huge difference between the two. For the most part, it probably has to do with having an effective line of communication.

I have been with the Community for less than a month and I am already convinced that I will be able to communicate my individualized needs with others in regards to online safety. Nobody expects perfection in this process, but the free alternative inevitably comes with much greater limitations in the delivery of services and cooperation.

Thank you for the article. It reaffirmed some assumptions I would previously hold about the two different types.