Big data, and its abuse, is threatening the very roots of democracy

• 17 March 2018
  • 5 replies

The Cambridge Analytica Files

‘I created Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’: meet the data war whistleblower

Summary of article:
Chris Wylie, the subject of this Guardian article now turned whistleblower, was, as he puts it himself, "the gay Canadian vegan who somehow ended up creating 'Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare mindf*ck tool'.
In 2014, Steve Bannon – then executive chairman of the 'alt-right' news network Breitbart – was Wylie’s boss. And Robert Mercer, the secretive US hedge-fund billionaire and Republican donor, was Cambridge Analytica’s investor. And the idea they bought into was to bring big data and social media to an established military methodology – 'information operations' – then turn it on the US electorate."
"Millions of people’s personal information was stolen and used to target them in ways they wouldn’t have seen, and couldn’t have known about, by a mercenary outfit, Cambridge Analytica, who, Wylie says, 'would work for anyone'. Who would pitch to Russian oil companies. Would they subvert elections abroad on behalf of foreign governments?
It occurs to me to ask Wylie this one night.
'Yes.'
Nato or non-Nato?
'Either. I mean they’re mercenaries. They’ll work for pretty much anyone who pays.' "

This is a truly frightening article which, I believe, everyone should read.

Full article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you @ for sharing. That article is pretty intense. I haven't read that much all at once in a long long time. Reading a book I guess, to me anyways. I am going to have to read it again to obsorb it all. But Facebook now has a new meaning...and it's not a good one. 😠 But this article goes way beyond Facebook...
LOL within a few hours of my posting this article on the Forum, it went from an apparently obscure story buried among all the others to a really, really big topic now dominating today's news in all the mainstream media! Was I naïve? cynical? not to think this story would hit big time?

Nevertheless, this remains the best article I can find for explaining all the ins and outs of this emerging scandal. To think that Facebook had known for two full years that this data breach had happened but did nothing to alert those concerned! Apparently, they are more interested in their own pecuniary advantage (reputational damage and all that, and consequences of that for their bottom line) than their users' security interests. They only owned up about it when they knew that it was going to break the news in a couple of days. Even then, they only mentioned those users directly involved in filling in the questionnaire—they omitted to mention that personal data had also been harvested from those users' "friends": multiplying the number of people affected by an estimated eye-watering 200 times!!! They had the audacity to claim that no data breach had taken place because there was no hack; basically, blaming the third party but ignoring the fact that they had not fulfilled their own obligations to protect customer data. The worst thing is, when they instructed Cambridge Analytica to delete the data, they apparently just asked the person concerned to fill in a tick-box to say that it had been deleted. No other due diligence was conducted to check that the data had actually been deleted. Small wonder that they heard rumours recently that the data was actually still out there...

Thank goodness I only have a skeleton Facebook account and never use it. I have never been a great fan of Social Media, and am even less so now.

@
As you said, pretty intense stuff :@. But it was worth the read, wannit?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes @ it certainly was a great novel! LOL
@ wrote:
Correction: "is" ;)

But the thing that really bothers me: it's not just a novel—it's real life 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Correction: "is" ;)

But the thing that really bothers me: it's not just a novel—it's real life :@
Yes @,

The article "is"

And it's real life and not a novel. My bad 😉 I failed to know the real meaning...
nov·el1
?näv?l/Submit
noun
a fictitious prose narrative of book length, typically representing character and action with some degree of realism.
"the novels of Jane Austen"
synonyms: book, paperback, hardcover; More
the literary genre represented or exemplified by novels.
noun: the novel
"the novel is the most adaptable of all literary forms"