light bulb

Did You Know?

Topics: 3,084
Kudos: 6,008

Billion devices could be controlled with built-in management tools by hackers

by paganinip on August 4th, 2014

Mobile Devices

Security researchers have discovered that billions mobile devices could be remotely controlled due the presence of a built-in management tool.

Two researchers at Accuvant Labs, Mathew Solnik and Marc Blanchou, have recently discovered the existence of built-in vulnerabilities in a large number of mobile devices that would allow an attacker to gain complete control of the smartphone.

The researchers also provided a few details on the attack scheme which is based on a rogue base station (femtocell) and needs that a mobile device its proximity, the security flaw is related to a device management tool carriers and manufacturers embed in the majority of mobile devices for remote assistance.

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader

Topics: 1,943
Kudos: 2,282
Blog Posts: 0

Re: Billion devices could be controlled with built-in management tools by hackers

So.............this management tool that is built in can it be deactivated?? Or removed by the manufacturer???

Community Leader

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Billion devices could be controlled with built-in management tools by hackers

That is a scary one.  And impersonating a cell tower is quite cheap in terms of the hardware you need.

All the more reason for me to stick with my non Android, non iOS phone. I have been looking to change carriers and checking out phones. Not!

sig

Experience Shared is Knowledge Shared, Share Yours! I'm a volunteer – my reward is your SMILE!:smileyvery-happy:

Helpful Webroot Links:

Submit Trouble Ticket • User Guides • BrightCloud URL lookup • Account Console 

Download (PC) • Download (Best Buy/Geek Squad Subscription) • Download (Walmart and Target) • Download (MSN Subscription) 

Register and Introduce yourself to The Community!