CVS and Rite-Aid are dragging you into a fight with Apple Pay

• 27 October 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I did expect something like this happening when Apple first brought Apple Pay. Well let the battle commence.

By Jose Pagliery  @Jose_Pagliery October 27, 2014

CVS and Rite Aid have stopped accepting Apple Pay, dragging customers into a confusing and annoying fight over payment politics.

The drug stores are part of a consortium of major retailers who oppose mobile payment technology like Apple Pay, mainly for two reasons.
One, they want to escape the 1.5% to 3% fees they pay every time you swipe your credit card. Two, they want to keep collecting data on shoppers.

To do this, the group started the Merchant Customer Exchange to develop their own payment network. The network is called CurrentC, and while it's only a coupon-and-rewards smartphone app now, it's designed to one day let you pay at the register without using your credit card.

Full Article and Video.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
LOL!  I have seen a lot of articles asking or claiming that Apple Pay is the payment of the future and will bring an end to credit card use.

Somehow, I do not think that is going to happen any time soon 🙂  Thanks Jasper :)

EDIT
What is interesting to me is that this evidently also turns off ALL OTHER RFD payment types... including a few existing though not much used systems already in place.  
Userlevel 7
What is interesting CVS is the largest Drug Stores in the U.S...Rite Aid right behind them. So.....let the 2 big boys fight it out.