Caught on tape: How phone scammers tricked a victim out of £12,000

• 14 September 2015
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I heard this on the radio just over a week ago. It is worth listening to give you an idea of the methods used.
 By Joe Lynam & Ben Carter BBC News4 September 2015Three men who tricked their victim into handing over her £12,000 savings on the phone have been caught on tape.
Five weeks ago, the fraudsters telephoned 65-year-old Nargess Sadjady, from west London, in a series of calls.
Posing as staff from her bank, they can be heard persuading her to transfer the money into one of their own accounts.
The recordings were set up by her son, who was worried that either of his parents might fall victim to just such a fraud.

Full Article 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Unfortunately this is a sad case where a senior is duped into sending/or transferring funds over the phone to cyber crooks. Seniors I can atest to have been told not to make transactions over the phone but go directly to the bank in person.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
This is another one that really burns me up.  It always seems to be the people who cannot afford to be scammed who get caught up in these.  

I just don't open flakey looking emails and I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number and or name.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I heard this programme when it was broadcasted. This was the bit which amazed me, as I didn't know this was possible:

"I'm not going to ask for personal information," he says.
Then he asks her to check the bank's helpline number on the back of her card, and tells her that she will receive a call back from that number.
In a trick known as "number spoofing", orchestrated through freely-available software, that number then appeared on Mrs Sadjady's phone when a second man called back, claiming to be from Santander's fraud department.
Later she admitted that up until this point in the call she had been sceptical - but the number spoofing persuaded her that it was genuine.
"I wasn't sure, until they called my mobile from that phone number on the back of my card," she said."  

I was happy to learn also that arrests have now been made in the investigation.   

Here is the podcast, if it is available in your area: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068w1h0 

Or this is the 1st one (sorry): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068lsp7
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I hate all scammers :@ and I got one of those emergency Air Horns for Boaters so I blast them when they call and I make sure it's a scammer before firing it off!!

Daniel :D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/M68AAOSwWKtUuaYz/$_12.jpg
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters!

This is very sad that these scammers are so aboundant..but you ? have the cure for those scammers!! ROFLMHO!:D
Userlevel 7
Good one Daniel.................by the way where can I get one of those
horns???????????????? HA!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great day Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is awesome Daniel! I might have to follow your lead and get one myself.