China boots Kaspersky and Symantec off security contractor list

• 4 August 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Comment: China is cracking down on the big boys as the country continues to tighten up against foreign tech firms 
=================================================================================================
By Brid-Aine Parnell, 4 Aug 2014

Kaspersky Labs and Symantec have both been booted off China’s list of approved security vendors for government agencies, as the country continues to tighten up against foreign tech firms in the wake of the NSA indiscriminate surveillance revelations.
The People’s Daily reported first in a tweet that the government procurement agency had ousted Symantec and Kaspersky from its list of suitable antivirus companies. Instead, the country will only allow government bodies to source security stuff from five Chinese firms – Qihoo 360 Technology, Venustech, CAJinchen, Beijing Jiangmin and Rising.

The Register/ Full Article Here/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/04/kaspersky_symantec_china_dropped/

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I wonder what happened to get them removed from the list.  Doesn't seem like China is forthecoming on that point.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I wonder what happened to get them removed from the list.  Doesn't seem like China is forthecoming on that point.
I have a opinion.....................Kaspersky and Symantec is better than THEIR Chineese softrware firms and theausy are losing money because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Of couse than Kasperksy and Symanteic is second to Webroot there is nothing better...if Webroot were in China Webroot would put all of them to shame and out of business.......end of story.....
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Communist country, they do as they please when they please and they never say why. Besides they do not care all that much about foreign relations.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
@Antus67 wrote:

I have a opinion.....................Kaspersky and Symantec is better than THEIR Chineese softrware firms and theausy are losing money because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Of couse than Kasperksy and Symanteic is second to Webroot there is nothing better...if Webroot were in China Webroot would put all of them to shame and out of business.......end of story.....
No doubt about WSA being superior!