Chinese antitrust regulators today ordered Microsoft to explain compatibility and bundling issues

• 1 September 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7

By Gregg Keizer
Computerworld | Sep 1, 2014 9:05 AM PT

Chinese antitrust regulators today ordered Microsoft to explain compatibility and bundling issues with its software and gave the U.S. company 20 days to comply.

The brief announcement on the website of China's State Administration for Industry and Commerce (SAIC) (Chinese language version) was the latest move in the government's antitrust investigation of Microsoft, which faces an unknown number of charges.
Microsoft must reply to the SAIC's demands in writing, the agency said.
In a translation by the Wall Street Journal (subscription required), which reported on the SAIC's newest demands, the agency said Microsoft must explain "problems like incompatibility and other issues caused by a lack of released information about its Windows and Office software."
The demand was made during a meeting Monday with David Chen, Microsoft's general manager for legal and corporate affairs in China.

ComputerWorld/ full article here/ http://www.computerworld.com/article/2600822/windows-apps/china-orders-microsoft-to-explain-windows-office-practices-within-20-days.html

2 replies

Userlevel 7
...because if there is one thing you can trust from China, it is cyber ethics. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I know this does not make it right,nor acceptable,but all your major world governments,and even some smaller ones,do some quite unsavory things.There was a time when i would single out China for a lot of things(will still single them out for rampant theft of intellectual property),but not this time.Cyber ethics is a noble cause that no world government adheres,or will ever,adhere to.I could see China using any information gleaned from microsoft to create it's own OS,or more likely,to find back doors in the code for future hacking campaigns.If i were Microsoft,i'd let China hear nothing but dead air.