light bulb

Did You Know?

Topics: 3,354
Kudos: 6,492

Conficker: Still spamming after all these years

I thought the real danger from Conficker had past quite a long time ago but it is still out there lurking in businesses waiting to be giving a new lease of life.

Summary: How pathetic is the security in many enterprises? Almost six years since the patch to stop it was issued, Conficker is still one of the most common threats.

By Larry Seltzer

"How many of these are still out there? The Conficker Working Group still tracks Conficker traffic. On Tuesday, July 1 they detected 1,148,345 unique IPs, which isn't the same as the number of systems. It could be much larger or smaller, but in any case it's still a big number, certainly in the hundreds of thousands.

If I'm not mistaken, Conficker was the last of the great Windows worms, which underscores the other lesson to learn from this: Enterprise endpoints running modern operating systems (generally Windows 7) don't have much of a malware/vulnerability problem. For many reasons, such as more secure coding practices, automatic updating and better Internet Explorer versions, users really have to try in order to get themselves infected. As XP dies away, most of the malware problem will die with it.

But will it actually die? I would assume that so many users who are still running ancient, vulnerable and infected computers at this date will not stop using them until the system is as dead as the Titanic.

Remember, these systems are in businesses, many with actual IT departments. They are responsible for the problem persisting."

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Conficker: Still spamming after all these years

Wow, can't believe that one is still around.

Topics: 609
Kudos: 7,521

Yea so many still never installed the Patch and the Eye Chart is still up and running to check! http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

Daniel :smileyfrustrated:

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.png  SigSVIP.png EPA.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete Beta Tester v8.0.8.77 on my main system Alienware 17R2, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & HTC One M8 Android Lollipop 5.0.1 Phone v3.6.0.6675.

MVP.gif.png Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security  

Twitter1.png  Untitled-1.png  WBA.png

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I guess we'll be having the same conversation about Heartbleed in 6 years :smileyhappy: