Crooks Grab W-2s from Credit Bureau Equifax

Userlevel 7

Identity thieves stole tax and salary data from big-three credit bureau Equifax Inc., according to a letter that grocery giant Kroger sent to all current and some former employees on Thursday. The nation’s largest grocery chain by revenue appears to be one of several Equifax customers that were similarly victimized this year.
Atlanta-based Equifax’s W-2Express site makes electronic W-2 forms accessible for download for many companies, including Kroger — which employs more than 431,000 people. According to a letter Kroger sent to employees dated May 5, thieves were able to access W-2 data merely by entering at Equifax’s portal the employee’s default PIN code, which was nothing more than the last four digits of the employee’s Social Security number and their four-digit birth year.
“It appears that unknown individuals have accessed [Equifax’s] W2Express website using default log-in information based on Social Security numbers (SSN) and dates of birth, which we believe were obtained from some other source, such as a prior data breach at other institutions,” Kroger wrote in a FAQ about the incident that was included with the letter sent to employees. “We have no indication that Kroger’s systems have been compromised.”

full article here:

4 replies

Userlevel 7
These breaches are coming with such regularity that they are actually starting to get rather boring...and frustrating about the fact that the people responsible for the data are not doing their jobs by securing it properly. :@
Userlevel 7
You said it in a nut shell Baldrick, these company's just don't care or
they don't put security as a priority for their company. So the cyber
crooks have a payday with these company's
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi ? that'swhy when I started a charter account I did not give my social security number they asked for.  I told them my lawyer told me not too (which he didn't).  I don't need my SS # out there.  :S
Userlevel 7
You did the right thing, to much data given out is dangerous