Dell to Customers: Report ‘Service Tag’ Scams

• 19 February 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
See Also - Has Dell been hacked? Users report plague of scam 'IT support' calls

19th February 2016

He pointed concerned Dell customers to information on the company’s site that warns customers to be on alert for phone scams.

“We also have provided an intake form to make it easy for customers to submit information for our teams to investigate,”

Frink wrote in an email to KrebsOnSecurity. “We’re encouraging our customers to come to us with any information that could facilitate the investigations.  We are investigating the issue, but can only do so with assist from customers who believe that someone tried to scam them. This is a continuing investigation, which by its nature, is based primarily on input from customers. We have no indication at this time that customer information used in the scams reported recently were obtained through an external attack.”

So if this wasn’t the result of a rogue partner, exactly how have the scammers managed to glean so much information about Dell customers and any previous service issues? Ars Technica’s Dan Goodin posited one possibility: That the scammers exploited a vulnerability in Dell computers that became public in November.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Another interesting update about Dell Service Tag scams. I feel sorry for those who have fell for these Dell scams!
Userlevel 7
Well, anyone phoning speculatively about equipment that I may own gets short shrift from me...LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well, anyone phoning speculatively about equipment that I may own gets short shrift from me...LOL
Same here! They would have to tell me what my service tag is!
Userlevel 7
Or that you even had one. I might even ask them to tell me where to find it...ROFL. :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
The problem for "normal" owners is that the best way for them to find out is actually phone Dell themselves up because to be told
"The caller gave me the Service Tag for my XPS 15 (L521x)! When I suggested that I would like to call him back, he told me that the support #s are very busy (!!) and I wouldn’t be able to get through. “ if I give you your Express Service Code will you trust me then?,” he said proceeded to give me the correct number." it can be quite convincing.

There you are @ they got you with the Service Tag 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
The problem for "normal" owners is that the best way for them to find out is actually phone Dell themselves up because to be told
"The caller gave me the Service Tag for my XPS 15 (L521x)! When I suggested that I would like to call him back, he told me that the support #s are very busy (!!) and I wouldn’t be able to get through. “ if I give you your Express Service Code will you trust me then?,” he said proceeded to give me the correct number." it can be quite convincing.

There you are @ they got you with the Service Tag ;)
Oops! I would still say what the hell do you want! LOL 😃
Userlevel 3
Well, since maybe 3 months ago, I have heard frequent reports filed regarding these scams online. Mostly on social media. Sometimes people also reporting them to http://whycall.me and similar complaint boards. People should remember to not give out any information to strangers over the phone. Remain vigilant, folks, and keep spreading the word.