DropboxCache Cross-Platform Backdoor Targets OS X

• 8 September 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
See Also - From Linux to Windows – New Family of Cross-Platform Desktop Backdoors Discovered By Ionut Arghire on September 08, 2016 DropboxCache, a Linux backdoor that was found earlier this year to have migrated to Windows, is targeting Mac OS X devices as well, Kaspersky Lab security researchers warn.

Also known as Mokes.A or Backdoor.OSX.Mokes.a, DropboxCache is written in C++ using Qt, which is a cross-platform application framework, Kaspersky researchers explain. Moreover, the malware is statically linked to OpenSSL and has a filesize of around 14MB.

The cross-platform backdoor that now operates on all major operating systems was also designed with spying capabilities, and is able to steal screenshots, audio-/video-captures, Office documents, and keystrokes from compromised machines. On top of that, it can execute arbitrary commands on the victim’s computer and communicates with its command and control (C&C) server using strong AES-256-CBC encryption.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
OS X again! Maybe the people on all the Mac Forums and Apple Forum will be changing their mind about Mac's not needing third party security software. I know I have mine installed and going strong! (Webroot) 😃