EU security think tank ENISA looks for IoT security, can't find any

• 23 May 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well we could have told them that there is none.

Proposes baseline security spec, plus stickers to prove thing-makers have complied

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icon/linkedin_alt.png 23 May 2017 at 05:02, Richard Chirgwin European network and infosec agency ENISA has taken a look at Internet of Things security, and doesn't much like what it sees.
So it's mulling a vendor's nightmare that the US and UK dared not approach: security regulation - at least the minimal regulation of testing and certification.

In a position paper published Monday, the group says there is “no level zero defined for the security and privacy of connected and smart devices,” no legal guidelines for IoT device and service trust, and no “precautionary requirements in place.”
In other words, to readers familiar with the woe The Register has chronicled over the years, it's an Internet of S**t.

Full Article

9 replies

The Article states...

So it's mulling a vendor's nightmare that the US and UK dared not approach: security regulation...
Yes, unfortunately, regulation has become a four-letter word here in the US.

Profits over Protections. Bow to the almighty dollar. :(

BD
Userlevel 7
I think that you will find that the EU are the masters of regulation & standardisation...I am sure that Jasper will recall the EU standard 'straight' banana...LOL
I had to Google 'UK straight bananas' to see what you were talking about, Baldrick. It reminds me of a similar thing that happened in the US. Consumer groups were complaining that the holes in Swiss cheese were too big. So the government decided to regulate the size of the holes in Swiss cheese. As a result, now Swiss cheese, at least the kind that I buy at Aldi, has no holes. :D

The ironic thing is that the cheese was always sold by weight anyway, so, like straight bananas, it was really just a matter of optics. :S

I will admit that there are some instances where the government can take things too far. But that doesn't mean all regulation is bad.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I think that you will find that the EU are the masters of regulation & standardisation...I am suire that Jasper will recall the EU standard 'straight' banana...LOL
I remember when the UK  voted to leave the EU more first words were "great we are allowed bent bananas and cucumbers again" 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

I will admit that there are some instances where the government can take things too far. But that doesn't mean all regulation is bad.

BD
That is so true, BD, it is a fine line between over & under regulation, as is the case with most things...and it is so hard to get the right balance all of the time. ;)
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I think that you will find that the EU are the masters of regulation & standardisation...I am suire that Jasper will recall the EU standard 'straight' banana...LOL
I remember when the UK  voted to leave the EU more first words were "great we are allowed bent bananas and cucumbers again" :D
That's funny, Jasper. Because the first story that came up when I Googled 'UK straight bananas' was about a lady who said that she changed her vote at the last minute from 'stay' to 'leave' all because she didn't like straight bananas!:D:S:D:@
Userlevel 7
In my book that just sums up the basis that most must have used to decide...do you know that the most Googled search phrase AFTER the referendum was 'What is the EU?'

https://
Well, my friend. I really wish I could say that I that I can't relate. But, unfortunately, I can. 😞
...the EU standard 'straight' banana...https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/11/boris-johnson-launches-the-vote-leave-battlebus-in-cornwall