Election fraud feared as hackers target voter records

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Cory Bennett - 05/02/16                                               http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_full/public/article_images/usvote_030116getty.jpg?itok=FbdNPG_8 A series of data breaches overseas are spurring concerns that hackers could manipulate elections in the United States.
Since December, hundreds of millions of voters in the U.S., the Philippines, Turkey and Mexico have had their data discovered on the web in unprotected form. In some instances, legitimate security researchers found the information, but in others, malicious hackers are suspected of pilfering the data for criminal purposes.

The data breaches are raising questions as the U.S. considers whether to move toward electronic balloting. More people than ever are using the internet to register to vote and to request mail-in ballots. Some states have even become vote-by-mail only in recent years. “If you can’t keep the voter registration records safe, what makes you think you can keep the votes safe?” asked Pamela Smith, president of election watchdog Verified Voting.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I have to say that I am not in favour of electronic balloting...I appreicate that when the electoral base is very large it does help with the speed of the democratic process but itis certainly less secure than the good old paper voting system...IMHO, and will be so until governments decide to invest substantially in making the systems as unhackable as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I have to say that I am not in favour of electronic balloting...I appreicate that when the electoral base is very large it does help with the speed of the democratic process but itis certainly less secure than the good old paper voting system...IMHO, and will be so until governments decide to invest substantially in making the systems as unhackable as possible.
I agree Baldrick. I have always preferred the tradiotional paper system and will continue to do so despite its advantages with a large amount of users. I think by and large that the people should be given the choice as we do in the UK to either use a postal, electronic or paper vote.
Userlevel 7
If the US goes electronic balloting they better make sure security is air tight before pursuing this avenue. However my opinion why change??? The old way worked with paper.