Enemies no more, McAfee and Symantec agree to share threat data

• 11 September 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Pair join Fortinet and Palo Alto in the recently launched Cyber Threat Alliance aimed at tackling cyber security threats

By John E. Dunn | Techworld The recently launched Cyber Threat Alliance has been given a big boost with the news that Intel's McAfee division and former arch-enemy Symantec are to join the industry group whose mission is to create the first significant cross-vendor movement of threat data.
The CTA was announced in May with founder members Fortinet and Palo Alto Networks, an intriguing collaboration between two mid-level security firms that had something to gain from this kind of initiative.
Adding two of the "big three" antivirus firms to this mix turns the idea from being merely interesting into something potentially more significant.

Full Article

8 replies

Our server is offering free internet security using McAfee.  I just talked with a WR tech who said WR is not compatible with McAfee.  It would not be a good idea to have both.  So...  I know this may seem like a dumb question because I know you believe in WR but what are the pros and cons of staying with WR and not going with the free offer of McAfee?

Is this merger a good thing? Does it make the McAfee product better and safer? 
Userlevel 7
Hi Hardknocks

I find it hard to believe that WSA is not compatible with McAfee given that WSA is designed from the ground up to be compatible with most other security applications.  But to be honest, given the low reputation that McAfee has sunk recently I cannot imagine why anyone would run it with WSA rather than just WSA only...which should be more than sufficient in general to provide protection.

Anyway, it makes for a good debate and airing of diferrent views whichis always welcome...:D

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
There are some suites that just will not work well in a layered approach.And sometimes even if they do,devs get wind of it and go out of their way to break compatibility with solutions like Webroot.Mcafee and especially Bitdefender do not get along well with anything.Symantec can get a little hairy as well as Kaspersky.WSA works just fine on it's own,but for those that choose the layered approach,i'm one of them,i have found Eset to work very very well with WSA.Just be sure to install the other solution prior to installing WSA.
Userlevel 7
Your words ring true Dan but I have to say that I have never had an issue running WSA & KIS together nor NIS & WSA together.  Not heard of any issues with McAfee...perhaps because few people who care use it anymore.  Only ocme across a no-no with BitDefender...and that kybosched my whole system wit or without WSA installed.  But that may just be my experiences.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have to admit i havent tried the most recent KIS release 15.0.1.415 with WSA.I may create another image on this machine and see how it goes for reference sake.I'm quite happy with my combo at the moment.I have licenses that i have gobbled up on a lot of things during sales.I like being able to offer friends options when i work on their machines,especially when those machines are running symantec and Mcafee and are riddled with viruses.I would have no problem at all with running WSA by itself as i have not had 1 threat get by it since the beginning.Webroot just works.Plain and simple.
:D  I have to smile as I read the discussion which sounds like Greek to me.  AS my name suggests I have had to learn through some hardknocks because of my limited computer language.

I do believe I am getting the jist that McAfee is not a good idea.  I find it interesting that our server provider ( a major company) would choose to contract with them. 

So how about educating me.  What is Eset?  KIS? and NIS?  I am assuming they are other anti virus and malware providers. Do you have links where I can learn more about them?

How is the combination of Windows defender and WSA ? 

What about Norton?  Just curious.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sounds like a Dell to me, as Dell only uses Intel Processors and Intel own McCrappy.

Daniel 😃
Actually our server provider is AT&T U-verse.  The computer I have is a lenovo.