Eugene Kaspersky Uses Webroot in an Example of "Unscrupulous Marketing"

• 29 January 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Here's an interesting read on Eugene Kaspersky's blog:

http://eugene.kaspersky.com/2013/01/24/all-mouth-no-trouser/

Of note is that Kaspersky uses Webroot to illustrate point #5, which reads:

5)      Over-emphasizing certain characteristics while not mentioning others. Messed up a test? Messed up all tests? No problem. Testing marketing will sort things out. The recipe’s simple: Take a specific feature (usually high scan speed or low system resource usage (the usual features of hole-ridden protection)), pull only this out of all the results of testing, and proceed to emblazon it on all your banners all around the globe and proudly wave them about as if they represent proof of unique differentiation. Here’s a blatant example.

Conclusion: if they bang on about “quickly, effectively, cheaply” – it’s most likely a con-job. Simple as that.

He does have a point about Webroot's marketing folks emphasizing high scan speed and low RAM usage over detection.

Unfortunately, Webroot does not come out looking good in Kaspersky's blog. And, this may be enough to cause the casual reader to dismiss Webroot outright as an effective alternative to Kaspersky.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello greekguy and welcome to the Webroot Community :D

Thanks for sharing of the article. I am no too surprised that a second league competitor is bashing the state of the art solution, especially on its blog. You know if a second league vendor can't reach a primacy of a superior vendor, he is kicking out around. That's nothing special. Moreover you need to see a marketing-wise point of his article that is ... everything is bad, poor etc. and our solution is there to save you against the bad world, so don't waste your time with another poor solutions and grab our product instead. Yeah, what's the mess.

I know that it sounds arrogantly and controversial but can't help myself. I hate those who are digging others instead of rather concentrating of doing their home work better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
While i have always been a big supporter of the hard work the Kaspersky organization does,i am disappointed in his remarks.He should be the last person to call out anyone for "Unscrupulous Marketing",as his organization is as guilty as anyone.I disdain marketing of almost all types and all medias.I have always believed the consumer should do their best to educate themselves without any regard to advertising.The marketing machine of alot of av companies quote old test results for old product lines such as "never missed an in the wild virus on vb100" and then recent results show they did in fact miss one.i haven't seen Webroot guilty of this since i've been on board.I'm all about user based results,and neither i,nor over an overwhelming majority of Webroot users,have ever seen an infection.Mr Kaspersky should worry about his own product line given his 2013 editions running on windows 8 64 bit cannot display java applets,etc without adding exclusions.HE should not advertise fully functional with Windows 8 when you have to set up exceptions to display certian content.There are quite a few issues i personally reported to HIS tech support,just to get the silent treatment or worse.I think this pompous windbag should keep his mouth shut until his own house is in order.At least Webroot LISTENS and RESPONDS to it's consumers.WEBROOT does care and is the best solution i have ever used.More than can be said for Mr Kaspersky.
Userlevel 7
I am also a long time supporter of the Kaspersky product.. historically it has had an excellent threat detection engine, and while the impact to system performance is middle of the road, it is a good trade of speed vs. protection. Some other solutions are just plain too costly in terms of system performance for me to consider using, regardless of how long they have been in the security software business.

I find his overall article to be an example of some of his own arguments. He makes much ado about how marketing can be bent to announce pretty much anything that you wish.. the problem is his article is quilty of the same practice. He may mention Webroot as an example of point #5, but he fails to mention any other aspect of Webroot.. like the fact that is effectvie and has been proven by multiple recognized computer industry groups to be effective.

In other words: His article is plainly a piece of marketing material itself, and so it bears the same consideration that he says we should give the marketing material of his competitors.

And Welcome the Forums greekguy!!
Userlevel 2
I would love to see how much kaspersky spend on marketing compared to webroot. :)

As a Webroot developer I see a lot of what goes on behind the scenes and can categorically state that WSA is not weak in any area, however it does excel in quite a few.

I'd love to see how Eugene writes his CV/Resume. If he were selling himself to a new employer would he not emphasise his strengths? this is how any kind of marketing has always been done ... it's not just your CV or our product, but look at Dairy Milk chocolate bars... creamy, tasty, luxurious... but they don't ever say "not great for your teeth and waistline"

I would just shrug his comments off as "sour grapes" and cheap shots